Having a mild panic

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I read Zoom's thread and although our situations are very different, they could potentially end up quite the same.

I have only just started cycling my tank (been 48 hours now), am getting LR today or tomorrow (wanted to wait 2-3 days first) and am prepared to cycle for at least 6-8 weeks. I won't therefore be putting in any fish or corals for a long time & am fully aware of the algae phases that the cycle goes through & the amount of patience required.

My concern is that I had someone help me set up and they assured me that tap water was 100% fine with sea salt (the salt content is spot on at the moment). I did wonder & worry at the time but I trusted that this person knew what they were doing.

Does this mean that the cycle will just take longer than usual, or will I end up with a total disaster too & do I need to start again?

Please help:023:

Hi Mouse - no - you don't have to start all over again.
AND NO - tap water is NOT "OK" for mixing the synthetic salt with.

Just do yourself a favour, and get some SeaChem PhosGuard, pr some other phosphate remover - I think some of our sponsors sell a locally made liquid phosphate remover....
Everything is about phosphates and nitrates in our marine tanks....
These 2 chemical components are "bad"....

And unfortunately tap water contains a LOT of both.

Get some phosphate remover - run it for the duration of the cycling process - remove it then. Then all should be ok again.

Good luck mate!

if you now get yourself some containers and keep some RO and do 10 to 15% water changes weekly for a while you should be fine. Also try puttin in some Stability.

no problem. Running a constant phosphate removable media is always a good idea. Seachem products are very good and most of the sponsors stock it.

the thing i feel should be adressed here is are you currently running your lights? if so id keep them off or limit them to an hour or so on for viewing when you are at home.. the reason for this is that accelerated growth of algaes will occur if light is present... agreed that tapwater is not ideal especially in a develping system but in a more mature system it can be tollerated.. RO added via a kalk dosing system is preferable... use the phosphate remover ass suggested and sit tight and weather the storm... good luck

Phew, OK my head is swimming (perhaps I should be the one in that tank)...
I just read Hennie's post on cycling a new tank : http://reefmaniacs.com/hl/Starting%20with%20Marines.htm

He recommends putting in the sand after the first few weeks after you've seen the spikes in the different leves and added the rock?

Should I wait then?

Phew, OK my head is swimming (perhaps I should be the one in that tank)...
I just read Hennie's post on cycling a new tank : http://reefmaniacs.com/hl/Starting with Marines.htm

He recommends putting in the sand after the first few weeks after you've seen the spikes in the different leves and added the rock?

Should I wait then?
well, there are debates about all this stuff, but you have it in already so just stick with it. add sand now if you want IMHO

Back
Top Bottom