Have you ever been sold inappropriate / outdated / crappy equipment by a LFS/Pet Shop

Have you ever been sold unnecessary, outdated, and/or crappy equipment by a Pet Shop?

• Yes

Votes: 47 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi All,

With regards to this thread, I thought it would be appropriate to check if my statement is true that: "most pet shops will sell inappropriate / outdated and/or generally crappy (not fit for purpose) equipment to inexperienced beginner aquarists"

Please just answer either:
YES
or
No

Can't just answer a straight yes or no.

I spent 15K on my initial set-up and of that probably R300 was inappropriate/unsuitable. So I feel I was given pretty decent stuff.

My first setup was a 10k F UP! Too this day I wont trust the most reliable LFS!

Just as a balance folks, how much research did you persoanlly do before buying?

By that i mean, when you bought your car/house, how much effort did you put into making sure you bought the right thing - with the car, i'm sure if you have 3 kids, you can't complain if the seller sold you a 2 seater sports convertible. and with the house, i'm sure there were surveys done before your lender allowed you to purchase??

Soooooooooooo, do we have the right to complain, just because we didn't do our home work before buying lots of junk we didn't need???

yes

Yes, but very good point wee man. A great big thanks to the local forums for putting an end to my lfs rip off margin!!

Soooooooooooo, do we have the right to complain, just because we didn't do our home work before buying lots of junk we didn't need???

Yes. The very least i would expect is for my seller/retailer (regardless)to be a professional at what he sells.

Yes. The very least i would expect is for my seller/retailer (regardless)to be a professional at what he sells.

But you would still have done some research into what it is you were spending lots of hard earned cash on though.

By that i mean, when you bought your car/house, how much effort did you put into making sure you bought the right thing - with the car, i'm sure if you have 3 kids, you can't complain if the seller sold you a 2 seater sports convertible. and with the house, i'm sure there were surveys done before your lender allowed you to purchase??

I agree partially. We should do our own research. BUT isn't going into the LFS and asking them about x stock, doing research? Lets take your car example. If I go to a car dealer and say, does this car have enough power to tow a trailer. And the dealer says yes it has 40kW that is more than enough. Yes it can tow a trailer but not very effectively. You expect the car dealer to know his product and give the correct advise. Same goes for the LFS. They should know their products and give advise accordingly.

My first setup was a 10k F UP! Too this day I wont trust the most reliable LFS!

Ouch. but I maintain there are a few really god LFS our there

100% correct, but if I walk into a framer, an antique dealer, a butchery, a doctor, a biccle shop any shop that requires of the staff to have a good understanding of what they do, I would expect the people to know what they are talking about about. I would want to be able to get advice from them. In reality, how many LFS have a tank at home? (a few yes, but not many) Most (not all) sell marines as well because it a "logical" extension of there bussiness.

My point exactly.

I agree partially. We should do our own research. BUT isn't going into the LFS and asking them about x stock, doing research? Lets take your car example. If I go to a car dealer and say, does this car have enough power to tow a trailer. And the dealer says yes it has 40kW that is more than enough. Yes it can tow a trailer but not very effectively. You expect the car dealer to know his product and give the correct advise. Same goes for the LFS. They should know their products and give advise accordingly.

Agreed once again

Yeah we know. We know. just feeling very communicative today. :1:

Hennie found the miracle that is the poll, now we can chat too

Back
Top Bottom