Have we gone MAD!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by leslie hempel, 13 Feb 2015.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

This is not aimed at anybody in general but moreso an observation but are we not our own worst enemies when it comes to a rare species and or a specific brand of product??

the more hype we stir up regarding the item, the more the prices increase with little justification other than a fancy logo on top or a new have of a mass produced chinese product?

Im well aware that theres quality and then theres quality!! but are we not overshooting the mark and making the hobby ridiculously expensive for ourselves..

this is no attack on reputable brand names.. i do understand that there are some crappy products out there that just should never be included in a system..

thoughts welcomed

Express Reef, King_Triton and KeeganP like this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

in a small way i disagree.. yes there are products that are better than others but you get what you pay for..some can afford the products people drool over .. some can only afford what is considered crap by others.. so i dont think saying theres stuff "never to be included" is correct..and by making certain products "crap" that alone makes other products superior to it thus giving reason to up their pricing..

Last edited: 13 Feb 2015
  4. JS

JS

Totally agree with you leslie. Being in the hobby for a few years now...nothing hurts me more than seeing chineses junk hyped up by retailers local and abroad and seeing newcomers to the hobby falling for it...only to realise they wasted money or even worse loose interest cause they struggle...then struggling to get rid of it....

5. JS

JS

And like you say not just retailers but...we - hobbyist, fuel the fire...so many times you see guys falling for it...then a day afterwards proclaiming its the best thing since sliced bread...not even testing the product first...

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

iPhone's are manufactured/assembled in China, A huge amount of so called quality products are assembled or manufactured is China. Just because it is manufactured in China is it crap.

yes i got an iPhone.:whistling:

7. JS

JS

Nope thats not what it is about...take the iphone for example...apple usa designed and and engineered it to be a awesome phone...they give strict quidelines and componant specs to ensure it meets their quality standards...so following their recipe...it really doesnt matter where it is assembled...they spent millions of dollars to develop etc to give the apple buyers a great product.. cheap chinese junk comes when the chinese wane jump on the wagon and copy using cheap components...cheaper manufacturing methods...

Guess its just because the chinese do it so often that its called chinese junk...if we did it mighr have been cheap south african junk....

So lets just call it cheap junk...

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Lets try another chain of thought....

Take for instance rose anemones.. one guy gets a beaut in then everyone wants one.. the demand is now evident.. the price shoots from R350 - R800.. all because we as the consumer created the hype..
    I have seen this with achillies tangs. Zoas. Mini anemones and a host of other livestock..

We are our own worst enemies and drive pricing up when infact demand should equal bulk buys which are discounted due to volume purchased...

Make any better sence?

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Stereo typing are the words that come to my mind. :biggrin:

Most if not all hi end products use China for of power supplies. "A" challenge will be to find a product that does not use a Chinese power supply than one that does.

China has some very good products that they develop themselves.

But there are some disasters out their.

So lets stop the political hand bag biff and discuss poor products and good ones and not bag them into where they are made.

JS likes this.
  10. leslie hempel

Guys its not product im attacking.. its the mindset of us as the aquarist..

JS likes this.
  11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Looks like a willing seller and willing buyer discussion Les. :eek:

12. JS

JS

Ok cool...understand your point now..totally agree...i have seen this recently with zoas...stuff we could buy for 280 a rock not so long ago...now has a fancy name...and now the rock is 650...

13. Clowning

Clowning

I think supply and demand plays an important role in this. If you bought a zoa frag for R100 and they grew into a large colony you then frag it, don't charge R100 for a frag smaller than what you got originally just because that's what you paid. Make it more affordable for the next say R50 and that's how newbies can afford the hobby and everyone can have the nice stuff.

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Going back to willing seller willing buyer.

The Seller sell to the price he/she feels fit. Business is to maximize the biggest profit out of a product life span. We see this in all sectors of business. The latest computer, fastest speed biggest memory gadget comes out. 4 months later the price is 20% less and a year later a third.

If you want it PAY. Else wait for the price to drop. It will IMO

15. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

"nemos" are always in demand for any person that adds some salt to a bit of water i dont see their prices going sky high.. well,except for all the new types and the overated AAA+ quality whatever that could be...

16. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Agree with Nemos Janitor here. People will charge what people are willing to pay. Its called business.

Nemos Janitor likes this.
  17. Clowning

Clowning

That's why some people get rich quick and others die trying.

18. leslie hempel

Yes.. but are we not shooting ourselves in the foot by creating hype. We are now giving designer names to zoas and then paying double as stated..

Ive seen achilies go for as little as R750 (yes not a typo) but now they are R2500 - R4000..

Greedy retailer? Overeager buyer?

19. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

but we can all say the achillies is a crappy fish it aint gonna bring its price down.. it is what it is unfortunately.. i guess if you like something and can afford it then buy it, if you feel its not worth it then do or try something else.. just like a car,you wont buy a certain model just because theres a hype,you either like it or you dont.. so end of the day the buyer does have a choice..

20. ozzie

ozzie

Leslie it's called supply and demand!

21. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

This makes sense if you a shop, and i had no problems with any shop making a profit, but this is still a hobby. I remember visiting JaquesB when i first started this hobby, without even asking he gave me a head of frogspawn and a red monti frag. What happened to people helping out a fellow reefer? Too many people are in it for the money now.
    Its more like willing newcomer, lets take all his money

fila, Express Reef, Antonio and 4 others like this.
Recent Posts