Has anyone picked this up to ?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by ZeroCool, 26 Mar 2010.

1. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Hi everyone, i have my nano (Buyo TL550) for almost a year now, and seen how it grown inside, and wow, what an adventure.

Something that i want to ask, I have some pulsing xenia, and hairy green mushrooms, and it seems, when they "made babies" or multiply, the mother one slowly dies.

Anyone seen the same reaction within their tanks ?

regards

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Xenia self destruct when they get to crowded and then you have pulsing xenia everywhere. Hairy green mushrooms have never lasted long for me, they multiply and then slowly die...

4. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

thanks Manic ...:) great feedback ! appreciated

5. crispin

crispin

really? ive never heard of mushrooms dividing and then dying ahve you got any links on this manic so i can read up?

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

It doesn't happen instantly but the parent colony of my green rodactis shroom always died about 2 months after splitting. I don't know if it was an infection due to the splitting or what. It only happened with my rodactis shrooms though...

7. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

On my side, my mother colony of pulsing xenia made "offspring", lol, and i can see how it slowly getting smaller and smaller. The green/hairy mushrooms, or the "dad" slowly died in a period of about 6 months, and i have 3 new baby ones.

Just something i noticed and wanted to share, to see if any of you guys seeing the same happening.

8. crispin

crispin

its not something i have ever noticed personally and to my knoweldge asexual reproduction (which both the xenia and shrooms have undergone) produce a genetic clone of its self, ie its exaclty the same. Why a parent collony should diminish while the off spring survies in the same water and environmental condition, seems strange to me

9. clown

clown

Hi Zerocool,

I also have a Boyu tank (120lt) for a 1year & 2moths.
    It is nice how it grows. I added 2 week a go my 2cleaner shrimps and Pulsing xenia and zoas (Got Pink, Orange and Organe with a Green midddle zoas) all are frags.
    I got the zoas & Xenia on the soft coral forum. Organe with a Green midddle zoas are not on there - very new and still small frag.

My Xenia small frag is busy splitting all ready.

For me is that we must frag our corals if it gets to big , coz it keep them fresh and young. If you look at xenia - they need to if the bush get realy big - they will die ,because they get clustered and some of the weeker arms dont get it shair of food sourch.

Just my 2 cents. :whistling:

Clown

10. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

It makes scense ... i thought about that, but i also know fragging is for the experts, or am i wrong ?

11. clown

clown

I dont think it is for experts.
    I know 459b (dave) is doing fragging - that is where I got mine and know Jcc is doing it and both are young. You must just do it slowly.

I know how to frag , but I will get for my 1st time 459b to help me to give me more advise. Get some one that did it before to help you until you feel you can do it. that is my plan.

Also look at my threat "clowns Tank Pics" to see the tank .

Regards :slayer:

12. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

I dont know who does this, but when i am bored, i go and sit infront of the tank, and watch it for hours. so amazing how to see how things grow, 1 year later, and it is getting better and better. I must consider soon upgrading, because my tank will become to small :(

Recent Posts