Has anyone ever had success with raising a Juvenile Regal tang

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by sniper, 17 Feb 2014.

1. sniper

sniper

Hi All,

I bought a tiny juvenile regal tang the size of a thumb nail 2 weeks ago. Since it is tiny I have decided to put it in a small 40L tank which is connected to my sump. I feed it a mix of frozen brine shrimp, flakes and brine shrimp eggs 4- 6 times a day.

I have been reading over the internet that it is difficult to raise a juvenile regal tang, so I just wanted to find out if anyone had success and what you did?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

mine grew from 1.5cm to over 15cm , keep the stress down, feed it a protein foods and nori

i used fish eggs, mysis and nori

4. Fred d

Fred d

is there any truth in the story I heard the tiny regals in indo are caught with poisons

5. Snoek

Snoek

Fred D there are stories that Cyanide is used. It all depends on the supplier where the fish are caught. I would love to hear the views of others on this.

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Indo is ok, Phillipines and shrilanka I think used cyanide

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you got it longer than 12 days, then you should be OK. Cyanide kills them around day 12.

8. NO3

NO3

Cyanide does not kill them, but it does destroy their digestive system so although they do eat they slowly wither away.

In indo its illegal to catch fish with poisons, and they enforce it quite well as its pretty much all their country has when you go look at where the coral suppliers are.

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

10. sniper

sniper Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input, hopefully I will be as lucky as Dallas and watch it grow into an adult

11. Fred d

Fred d

best advise I can give is to use the best quality foods and keep them stress free if possible . keep your basics (ph , salinity , temp ect. ) stable . if they are eating and picking up weight they should pull through .

12. pkc

pkc

The usual way is they break off the coral head, take it out of the water and shake it once over a bucket or tub.
    There is a far better way that I use as recreational collector, aside from fence nets and scare them from one head to the next and catch them that way, as is with commercial guys here.
    All blue tangs start in stag acropora to a size of around 3 to 5 inches, then they leave it and hide at night or when predators are around in cracks and under rocks as such.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201035096190810&set=a.10201027690045661.1073741829.1569796931&type=3&theater
    They eat plankton while in that coral,as you can see by the pic that's how they live and dive to and from the coral as they need to, copy varied planktonic foods and they are very easy to raise!
    There is more to it, but that’s enough.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2014
Recent Posts