Harold's new 220L startup

Discussion in 'New Members' started by HaroldF, 16 Jul 2013.

1. HaroldF

HaroldF

Hi everyone!
    Harold Fourie from Centurion here ....
    With the wife's concent :thumbup: ... my 220L Malawi aquarium project turned into a 220L Marine aquarium project :biggrin:..
    Still a LONG way to go, seeing that I'm only starting now, getting all the hardware sorted out. (Dorry Pets has seen me quite a few times)

Along with my introduction, I want to start off with a question ...
    The cabinet under my tank is devided in two sections, with the present sump system in one section. This sump needs to be modified by taking out MOST of it's deviders.
    To gain as much as possible space for the DSB, would the following setup work? ...raising the return-pump maybe 5 cm above the sand bed?
    The skimmer will be in a seperate tank, overflowing through a pipe into this one (maybe a stand alone skimmer would be better) ...
    Any ideas welcome ...
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

Hi Harold and welcome to MASA!
    Before you cut and stick anything, why don't you read up a bit more on Orca Bio Cubes.
    There are a couple Gurus here that swear by it and obviously others that swear by DSB.

I am busy starting my system with Bio Cubes at the moment. Less space required. New technology!

Don't rely solely on my opinion, just open up to other options.

GOOD LUCK :thumbup:

4. HaroldF

HaroldF Thread Starter

Gareth ...you see this is where the problem starts now .... my first thought was also to use bio cubes ...then someone told me "NO .. rather go the DSB route" .... and I can already see a debate sparking from this ....

Something else I've considerred ....maybe I can start with the bio cubes idea ... and if I see that it's not effecient enough, I can incorporate a DSB system? ...
    The only question I have .... by doing this ... hopefully I will notice the problem and add a DSB system BEFORE the waterlife starts to die in my aquarium?

Last edited: 16 Jul 2013
  5. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

I'm no expert on the subject and @RiaanP can give you way more detailed information on DSB's than I can.
    They are very beneficial to your tank but also take up a lot of space because you want the surface area to be big.
    I'm starting with Bio Cubes and later on will add a remote DSB if the cubes don't work.

There are plenty debates Bio-Cubes vs Pellets Vs DSB etc.

Can you possibly list the specs of your tank and current sump as well as your equipment to give the Pro's a bit more insight. Also state wether you are wanting FOWLR or SPS, LPS etc.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Evo R

Evo R

Hi and Welcome.

First off.... there is a massive difference between bio cubes and balls. The "balls" are small plastic comb like balls that in time will grow some bacteria. But will very quickly turn in to a nitrate factory as its trapping more waste than what the little bit of bacteria can consume. Very very old tech and method. So point blank don't waste your time.

Then dsb works in the sense that its a more natural way of growing different forms of bacteria ect. This method is fairly old and still used today but there are newer more modern ways of doing things. To have a really successful dsb your foot print size needs to be bigger than your tank!

Then bio cubes. To put it to you in a simple way.... that little bag with cubes/stones can "grow" multiple times more beneficial bacteria than what the "standard" size dsb can ever manage. Very hi tech. very successful.

Remember 2 very important things that will help you understand your filtration needs better.

1. With marines its basically boils down to biological filtration. in other words bacteria. You will understand this better once you read through the nitrogen cycle and the cycling of a new tank. All in the beginners section. That will explain to you how the one bacteria works with the other.

2. Then the other thing to remember is, that we want to cram as much fish and corals as we can into a very tiny little glass box! That's why our filtration has got to be so much better!!!!

Please ask as many questions as you want!!

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That design can work.

BUT
    Your ATU would take a lot longer to activate. The volume to evaporate before it triggers the ATU pump is a lot, where a smaller dedicated return chamber is easier to control the ATU

ATU = Auto Top Up
    After your lights, the first thing you must automate.

As a newbie, come to the expo, before you start.

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi and welcome!

nice size tank to start... but with the space you have describes and sump layout i would advise against a DSB, i dont see it being beneficial at that size, if it was larger maybe...

if you used Orca Bio-cubes or any other nutrient export method you could keep to one sump and use the other for ATU. there is no need to create a complex system.

here is my simple sump, skimmer, cubes, filter sock and heater
    [​IMG]

10. HaroldF

HaroldF Thread Starter

Thanx for all the replies people .. :thumbup:
    OK ...I'm going the Bio cube route then ...
    This is the layout of my sump as it is at the moment ....
    [​IMG]
    Is it OK to put the Bio cubes in those compartments, or are they going to restrict the waterflow too much? .... maybe make the bio cube bag so that it only fills half of the width of the compartment (thus some of the water will bypass the bags?)

11. HaroldF

HaroldF Thread Starter

Oh and with those bags RIGHT in the middle of the flow of the water ... do I still need to add an air-stone to them, or will the waterflow be enough for it to function properly?

12. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

You will only need max 500ml of Bio-Cubes (if I'm not mistaken is 1ml to every litre on a lightly stocked system) which should fit in 1 bag only. You could use one bag in the compartment after the skimmer and fill the other compartment before the return with Live Rock.

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i would put both bags or one of 500ml in the second chamber, in the first use foam and filter floss to remove the larger dirt thus helping your system and sump stay clean

14. HaroldF

HaroldF Thread Starter

OK...last question for today ....hmmm ...no ...maybe last question for the morning :p
    Can I put the bio cubes in a piece of stocking, or must it be a "filter-bag" for some reason?

15. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

They come with a bag that you can put them in.

16. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information and knowledgeable members on this forum that can help out! I have learnt so much!

17. HaroldF

HaroldF Thread Starter

Thanx Gareth ....I've noticed the wealth of information and knowledgable members on this forum ... :thanks:

18. HaroldF

HaroldF Thread Starter

Well I said the previous question was just for the morning ...so here comes the next question :)

RO water .... So I need to fill up my tank with RO water + salt ... I can get already mixed salt RO water from Pta north for R2.50/L ....but it's a bit far and I will need about 14 x 25L bottles to transport it ...
    Any ideas what I could do in Centurion? ... any RO water supliers in Centurion? ...or Salt water suppliers? ..
    I don't see the need to buy a RO unit for my 220L system yet .... or might I be mistaken?
    Maybe I can "buy" some RO water from RiaanP ?? :biggrin:

19. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

Sorry Harold, Not gonna be able to assist with anything that side. But you will be suprised how much RO can save you in the long run. You can pick up a marine unit for about R1400. I am starting my 300L (including sump) system and have worked out the costs of buying RO from the LFS vs buying a RO unit and it definitly something I am going to invest in. It all boils down to the the amount of water changes you do within a certain period. I am planning on doing a 20% water change every 2 weeks and as the tanks establishes itself you can push it to every 3-4 weeks depending on the tank conditions. But here again I am no expert, so the Pro's can advise better.

IMO if you are in an area where you have to travel a lot to get RO it could be a problem if you have a phosphate spike or something similar and you need to do a quick water change to help with parameters.

20. Bendor

Bendor

14 times 25 times 2.50 = R875
    14 drums if you bought them around R500
    Petrol, time and effort = lets say R25 for arguments sake
    Total = R1400

RO machine = R1400

(I may have cooked the books a bit for dramatic effect but not much)

Last edited: 17 Jul 2013
  21. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

Hi hi. Dorry Pets is in Centurion in Jakaranda str. They sell RO water and Salt Water and also RO Units. Give them a call. They are sponsors so the contact details are on the forum.

Recent Posts