harlequin shrimp

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Paul Bassani, 17 Mar 2014.

1. Paul Bassani

Paul Bassani

Hi guys,

Can anyone please assist me, I've got two Harleys in my tank and they are doing very well but now I don't have any kind of starfish left for them.

Can anyone please assist with some asterina or something they can donate I'm in the primrose germiston area so anyone close would be preferred.

Is there a possibility that they might eat something else as well?

Thanks guys.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you might have to buy the larger choc chip/ knobbed starfish to feed them, IIRC they are only starfish eaters.
    Harlequin Shrimp

4. Zandy

Zandy

No offense...but that is why you should have rather just got one at a time. They wipe out the asterina starfish very quickly. Best would be to have one which you can move between tanks and give the asterina starfish time to multiply again. If you would like to sell one let me know. I do have 3 tanks he can move around in. You will continue to have to buy starfish for them to eat. Just a suggestion...

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

When I had them I tried really hard to get them to feed on something else, but with no luck. :( I think I can recall someone on here managed to get theirs eating small bits of hake, but it was the one and only instance I've heard of that, and whether or not it will sustain them is another issue.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

they are rather easy to catch. I caught out mine yesterday out of my display.

I would sell them, or lent them to a buddy with asterina star issues. Can always get them back after a couple of months if you got enough stars then.

7. chops

chops

pm sent can send you some if you like

8. Zandy

Zandy

You going to send him asterina starfish every week from PE ???? Wow that must be the most expensive food !!!! lol:thumbup:

9. chops

chops

well at least I am try to help him

10. Zandy

Zandy

That is very kind of you indeed. Problem i see is that the starfish polulation in his tank is not going to get time to multiply enough to sustain 2 shrimps. I live close to him and i can give him some asterina starfish but this will be short term and not a solution at the end. That is why i suggested that he rather "hire" the shrimp out to people who has asterina starfish. Pretty much the same as the " seahare" that is shared by MASA members. That way at least the shrimp will get plenty to eat ...

11. Dylant

Dylant

All you do is buy a large starfish. Once a week chop a piece off and feed it to them all sorted

12. Dylant

Dylant

Sorry you must freeze it

13. Paul Bassani

Paul Bassani Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice and help guys, I'm thinking of lending / hiring them out to anybody close that has astirina star issues and then get some stars so my astirina star population can increase to a good count again.

Just a quick question how does the whole hiring or lending thing work is it just an agreement between you and the other person or are there some rules, for example if they die or something like that what happens?

Thanks.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That's why it would be better if he buys them from you. And you buy them back.

If somebody messes up, its his loss.

15. Zandy

Zandy

I would suggest to sell him, or let him be in someone elses tank that you trust. There are no set rules here. Most guys and girls on the forum are honest and we all try and help each other... That is why we are all here...If however you not comfortable with such agreement then i would rather suggest that you try and obtain some extra asterina starfish on a weekly basis. I am not for the idea of buying a live starfish to be chopped up just in order to feed a shrimp. This to me personally is cruel. Again my personal opinion.

16. Zandy

Zandy

At a later stage when you wish to obtain another one they are fairly easy to get hold of...but having two in one tank there is probably always going to be a shortage of asterina starfish. I have my one which i rotate between 3 different tanks.. Giving the other tanks a chance for the asterina starfish to breed.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

its very difficult to add another harlequin. Best is always to buy a mated pair from the LFS. Most likely the one will kill the other, even if they are male and female. If you got one, keep it at one.

18. Triton

Triton

Hey Paul, im interested in borrowing one :)
    Got an asteria starfish problem and need them cleared

19. Paul Bassani

Paul Bassani Thread Starter

Hi Triton, cool not a problem if you want you can pick him up tomorrow I am available the whole day until 6pm. If you don't mind can I ask if you could give quite a few asterias when you come to collect?
    Just let me know if you are still interested and I'll give you my address and contact details.

Thanks.

20. Dylant

Dylant

If triton does not take him I would happily give him a home!!!!

Recent Posts