Harlequin Anthius at DeJong

You obviously forgot your ECO101 lecture 1 : The law of supply and demand (same reason the Durban guys don't sell 10 gem tangs at a time to JHB guys)

If we go look at the KZN catches i don't think your tank can hold half the amount of fish you have caught? What happened to the others? Do you return them to the sea?? Wait who cares about that Goldie or butterfly that you caught its an indo pacific fish with a 20000km span.

Have you thought about the Hawaii Yellow tangs that we all keep, that is pretty much the same thing, Only from Hawaii, but no one thinks twice to purchase one and no one cries for Hawaii?

If they go to a facility that is prepared to pay top $$ and give them the best care (far better than any collector in sa) then I don't honestly see a problem!

WRT your Rhino and impala statement you can apply to shoot a rhino they do issue permits!

I have four well stocked tanks, as many members here can attest. I don't sell anything I catch, in spite of many people asking me to in PMs. I also don't catch anything that I can't house.

Yellow tang collection is extremely strictly monitored in Hawaii. There are collection zones and sanctuary zones to ensure their numbers are stable and collectors have to submit the numbers they catch and export. They also have a much wider range than Hawaii, by the way.

You are getting awfully defensive about this issue and seem to have a good knowledge of the logistics of selling poached local fish. Making you look pretty bad right now. :m106:

HA ha no not getting defensive, and not meant to be an attack i just really dont see the issue! I actually think its awesome. maybe it will give light to a new hybrid or aquaculture of the specie! but thats the optimist in me!

Yt are actually under threat and they looking at cutting exports from Hawaii

I dont know any one that sells them nor am i involved but i can tell you that through importing i do know how easy it is and according to the paperwork its would all be 100% legal (morally another story).But like i said i think its really cool SA has something the rest of the world does not AND if it was controlled would be pretty cool

ive said it before we are our own worst enemies in this hobby, one rare fish or zoa found and hype is created around it.. all of a sudden these animals which have always been around come under collection pressure and in time the fad fizzles out.. hopefully restoring the balance once the market is looded and the natural populations left alone

seen if before with Gem tangs, kingis, and specifically zoas now that they have become "designer" each now getting a larney name n' all! zoas along the transkei coast are almost non existent and limited to the common stuff, the only saving grace being that everyone has that kind...

the more hype... the more the price goes up.

good debate, keep it tidy keep it relevant... ;)

we could add to the morality story and say that is it correct to buy corals that have come into the country with no cities OR under different names? Is that not destroying the ocean more than 6 anthias?

Well the regulation of Yellow Tang catching does mean that every few years they limit the export if numbers get too low. Thats the pro to doing things in a regulated manner.

Just an aside, man are those ugly anthias

Last edited:
Reactions: NO3
Another side to this argument is the disproportionate profiteering off these Anthias....these Anthias are very valuable to the overseas market only because it is illegal to export them from South Africa. You can be sure whoever poached them has done this purely due to the value in monetary terms they got for them.Nobody in their right mind would take the risk of poaching these fish if they were making what a common legal Indo Anthia is worth....Its the same issue with Rhino horn..The problem is just as much with the company at the other end who is fueling this demand by putting unrealistic values on these fish only because they cannot be exported legally...I say leave our coast alone...the laws are in place for a reason and not just because some government department has no to little knowledge over the species it is protecting.Poaching is purely fueled by money.....Hobbyists who take out rare protected species for their own tanks in my opinion open the door for commercial gain for themselves or others....leave the protected stuff alone...we have plenty legal stuff we can buy..

I see this exactly the same a rhino horn.

Worldwide we have a complete rhino horn trade ban. Yet, so far over a 1000 rhino were poached this year in South Africa alone. 3 a day. Does the total ban help at all?

NO

Open up the trade in rhino horn. Let the governments and agencies who got stockpiled horns available sell them to fund the actions to protect those left. Make it a worthwhile animal to farm. What else is a game farm? Make it worthwhile for the farmer to actually invest and expand rhino farming.

Obvious with rules and checks in place. Same thought as how the YT is controlled in Hawaii.

If you ban something, but there is a market for it, you only encourage poaching. And with poaching you got no control. Big possible losses due to the way the animal is transported. For example look at the way reptiles are illegally transported.

In my eyes, a total ban will never work. It only encourages poaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: NO3
Back
Top Bottom