Haqos ps-300

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by vincentputter, 28 Jun 2012.

1. vincentputter

vincentputter I love Nayn cat!

Hi guys! I bought myself a Haqos ps-300 protein skimmer (pics below) and I'm happy about It but there are some frustrating problems. I know that skimmers take time to "break in" but its been like a week and still no skimming so It lead me to think...... Is there such a thing as "No waste! No skimming!"? The second problem Is that the skimmer Is injecting micro bubbles into my DT!

[​IMG]

PS! I'm using It as a HOB skimmer.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentch

brentch

Eish.....I'm not a pro but I haven't heard of this brand. Where did you buy that Vincent? To me the pump may not be strong enough.... How small are the bubbles being produced in the chamber?

4. brentch

brentch

True, but don't you have any fish or coral to produce waste?

5. vincentputter

vincentputter Thread Starter I love Nayn cat!

I got the skimmer from Pet Junction. It is rated for a tank up to 300l and the pump Is a 800LPH pump. The bubbles It's producing Is small very, VERY small. The chamber looks like milk and you can't even see the bubbles that's how small they are and It's very aggressive inside the chamber. The only things I have In my tank at the moment is 1 hermit crab 1cmø, 1 snail 3 cmø, 4 mushroom coral +- 3 cmø, 2 boulder coral 5 cmø and a big fan worm.

6. ScottK

ScottK

A week may still be to soon. Did you break it in with a vinegar and water solution? I have had skimmers that have taken up to a month to be totally effective even with pre-soaking in vinegar to remove any oils from the manufacturing process.

If you set the skimmer at the right level the bubbles shouldn't go into the DT, if it's not running right you probably have the level set high to try and get it to skim. Give it some time and it should come right.

7. brentch

brentch

Ya you don't seem to have a hectic bioload, and like Scott said, the manufacturing process usually leaves a releasing agent behind, so it could be that...

8. seahunter

seahunter

A friend of mine purchased a Haqos skimmer, it took around 2 months to produce very little skimmate (his tanks around a year old with No3 at 50ppm) . When we stripped the pump ,we found that its got a normal impellor instead of a pin-wheel. Skimmers like these also have very little air intake thus not effective.

To give this skimmer some effect you should attach 3 air line tubes to the intake sponge housing instead of 1 tube shown on the picture for more air-intake. (it as 3 places which you can attach the tubes)

PS : You should ask the guyz on MASA for info on specific products before purchasing ;)

9. vincentputter

When I bought the skimmer I did check the impeller and It's the correct one (I'll post a pic to show you how It looks like). I did add more tubing and It does not appear to produce more bubbles. I'll wash It with vinegar water and see what happens. I'll also do some level adjustments and let you guys know in a few days.

[​IMG]

10. seahunter

seahunter

Yup thats the impeller , do you have it in your sump or on your DT tank?

11. seahunter

seahunter

Sorry I forgot to add that once the skimmer starts producing form you will see that the extra tubing helps produce more form (thats the reason for the extra tube intakes)

12. vincentputter

Oh ok! Thanx! I'm using the skimmer as a HOB.

13. seahunter

seahunter

You welcome!

14. vincentputter

OMG! It's working! So I've added the extra tubing, tuned the skimmer to a point where It's not too high and not too low. The foam It's producing Is about 5cm thick. I want to raise the water level inside the skimmer to get the foam inside the collection cup but I'm too afraid to touch It.

15. vincentputter

Oh and I found the problem of the dreaded micro bubbles that was inside my DT. It came from my internal filter. There was a pocket of air stuck inside the filter and every time It would spit It out into the DT and then the dreaded micro bubbles would just accumulate all over again.

16. DubKorps

DubKorps

pics?

17. seahunter

seahunter

Thats super Vincent :thumbup: , I also advise to keep the water level in skimmer as low as possible with the outlet valve close to full open , as you might already know how easy the skimmer over-flows owing to the collection cap size (after skimmer sets-in)
    Happy Reefing :peroni:

vincentputter likes this.
Recent Posts