Happy new year everyone

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying and setting up my very first Marine system. Looking at Nano tanks to start off with. Any advise would be great.

Thank in advance

Thanks Viper might be buying a Red Sea 130D Max from a forum member. What are your thoughts on the tank?

Never used one myself, but have visited a few people that have them and had a good look at them, they seem top notch if you ask me. Some people do make minor changes to things like lighting but overall they seem to be really good from what I have seen and heard.

masahello

The RSM 130 is a great beginner tank, you will however need a chiller to cool it as it can run very hot. Mine can hit temps of 30dc with everything on (excluding the heater).

Thanks for the feedback guys, what are your thoughts on buying a second hand aquarium anything I should look out for when viewing. Questions I should ask? I am very interested in the one, one of our forum members is selling it is almost 2 years old. Viewing it in two weeks.

Hello neil everything i have with my aquarium i bought new and sealed ive received a few items from fellow reefers over the course of the past year and i havnt had any issues but thats just me. I would check if everything works correctly and do some research on the items you are purchasing to give you an idea of what should be there, generally speaking from what ive seen on this site is all members are passionate about marine life and go out of there way to give you the best advice possible.:)

Hi Neil,

I would check to see if everything is working firstly. Skimmer, pumps, heater, lighting. Make sure that the tank has all the parts (skimmer cup, pump nozzles, overflow cup, heater etc).
You should also see how old the bulbs are in the tank, bulbs older than 8 months would need to be replaced in the very near future as old bulbs would not assist in coral growth but will aid in the growth of algae.

You will also want to check if there are scratches on the glass and how deep they are. Apart from being aesthetically unappealing algae (corraline or otherwise) can grow in the scratch groves making it difficult to remove. I wouldn't stress too much if only lightly scratched and it is not in the way.

Ask if the tank is leaking/cracked. If it is then don't buy it, it can be fixed but it is a royal headache depending on the crack/leak.

Very important is to make sure that the stand is level and not swollen. A swollen/uneven stand can cause the tank to crack, something no reefer wants.

One thing to bear in mind is that this is not a very big tank so stocking options are limited. You may have some ideas as to what you want to stock so research the stock in the next two weeks and see if they will be able to live happily in that size aquarium. If your heart is really set on a particular fish and it is better suited for a big tank, is best to hold off buying this.

Another thing you will need is a chiller, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If the tank comes with it then happy days else this is something that you will need to purchase before adding livestock of any kind.

The main thing when viewing the tank is that you must be happy with the tank and that it meets your needs :)

Happy reefing!

I have a Hailea 150a. Takes up about half of the cabinet below so you have space to add extras like dosing pumps, ozone etc. :)

Hi Blackspark,

Nope not yet only viewing it in two weeks. She is away on Holiday at the moment. So I am busy Studying everything on this Forum to help time pass and to become well informed.

Back
Top Bottom