Hanna vs Profilux

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by jumboswart, 22 Jun 2011.

1. jumboswart

jumboswart

I have calibrated my profilux conductivity probe and it gives me a reading of 1.026, my Hanna refractometer

[​IMG]

was calibrated with distelled water and it gives me a reading of 1.022.

My dilemma which one do I believe?:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

I would go with the Hanna, being a dedicated tester there is probably less margin of error.

4. Tony

Tony

You need to decide which one you want to trust or maybe meet them halfway. Hanna is a name I know who are specifically in the meter and tester market and profilux make tank computers. That's unfortunately why I dont like computers to run my tank as we then start obsessing too much about numbers. From my experience the animals and inverts will tell you when something is not lekker

5. gaboon

gaboon

Test it against a Tropic Marine Hydrometer.

6. jumboswart

jumboswart Thread Starter

Thanks will take to IM to test properly before adding salt:blush:

7. Achilles

Achilles

Get yourself a la motte Lab precision hydrometer not the hobby ones, and test the water with that in a tall tube or vase , they come with a chart showing salinity at different temperatures and then one can recalibrate the digital stuff if it is inaccurate- reason i suggest this is these are already calibrated and accurate for scientific labs, The hobby hydrometers are a waste of time in my opinion.

I use a lab grade hydrometer to back up reading i get on my milwaukee refractometer i can expect minor differences of 1-2 points due the refractometer not being designed for salt water use.

8. slless9

slless9

id stick to Hanna one.

9. Falcon

Falcon

test with a decent calibrated refractometer then use an average of the two that seem closest to each other,obviously then the other one is a bit out...but in any event anything between 1.022 and 1.026 should be fine for almost all our critters.....

Last edited: 23 Jun 2011
  10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

What is all the fuss about? If the profilux has been calibrated acording to the instructions and has been left/checked against the calibration fluid the reading is good. else the test fluid is contaminated. The probe will only read what solution it is in and will indicate acordingaly.
    So the integraty of the profilux equipment is not at question but the calibration procedure or calibration solution.

The refractometer will also read what it is calibrated against. and the same applies.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2011
Recent Posts