Hang on's?

Reaction score
hi guys,

I am in the process of converting 1 of my freshwater tanks to marine tank
130 litre tank.

would like to find out about equipment as I don't have the funds at this point for a sump setup.

the dophin sp2012 hang on protein skimmer
sun sun jvp101 wavemakers

will these be sufficient for the tank?
and are they a good buy?

thanks

Nothing wrong with sunsuns, ive been using them for a number of years. They give alot of flow for their price. They wont last forever, but at that price they last more than long enough.

Cant comment on the skimmer, i have zero experience with hang on skimmers

Hi @leeg.....I dont see a problem with that. I run something similar with no problems at all. I also have a 250L tank without a sump. Just hang on skimmer and JVP 201 wavemaker. All I do is I do regular water changes, Every week 10%, and sometimes only every second week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sun sun work well. There are a few manufacturers that do hang on skimmers check out reef octopus or bubble magnus or deltec

I had a Dophin 2012 on my nano and it skims like a beast, but on my new 190l water volume I have a Reef Octopus BH1000. The Dophin will probably just be sufficient if your tank is not overstocked, but one suggestion I can make is to invest in a good skimmer. It really is worth every cent.

thanks guys for all the quick response.
last question,
is that all I need for the starting of the tank?
skimmer
powerheads
just a reminder that I am not running a sump

Depending what you want to keep inside the tank you might need good light.....And a heater.

forgot about the heater
well im looking to keep the following:
clownfish
yellow tang
hermit crab
cleaner shrimp
anemone (at a later stage though)
live rock obviously
and also at a later stage some coral

All looks good but your tank to small for yellow tang. They need space to swim. The rest looks good. Anemone only after 6months. They need mature tanks.

the guy at the local fish store said I can begin to throw in freshwater for the first week,then I have to do a water change and at that point I need to get the salt water in with the live rock

any comments on this?

throw in freshwater for the first week
you can do a freshwater LEAK test for a week. Make sure that there is no nasty surprises. Then you have to drain the tank, dry it out and then fill with salt water.

Other than that, never add tap water to your system. Do not start your tank with tap water where you mix in the salt.

Yeah that info is not right. Start will saltwater also you can get away with no skimmer at all just that you will need to do alot more water changes

RO is best cause tap water may cause you problems later that will cost alot more to fix

Do you have a refractomer or something to measure salinty when mixing?

@Toolboysa im buying everything piece by piece, so that will be on my list next to buy,
a hydrometer works aswell if im not mistaken?
sorry for all the questions guys,but really need advice as this will be my first marine tank
thanks for all the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom