Hands on with the Jebao RW15 review

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
Ok so I had a few minutes gap and decided to put my thoughts of this pump down to text for all to get a better understanding of what they are buying. As you may have noticed I love buying and testing equipment, it’s always like Christmas when a new box of goodies arrives at my house!

The construction
The Jeboa RW range is almost a copy of Vortech in its construction but an internal version with a magnet attaching it to the glass which is reminiscent of Tunze and most other pumps these days The Jebao WP range were most definitely more Tunzeish in appearance but with a controller per pump ..
The appearance if the unit is very much more a shiny plastic than what Im use to and looks a little cheap to the eye at first glance, the impellor is also plastic, but after all that’s what we wanted right… cheap controllability and large volume mobility?

Operating noise.
Well with all my other pumps off and only the RW15 in action it’s pretty silent, more so than its Vortech counterpart which is a big plus! Not too sure how durable the parts will be longterm but so far this pump is doing what it was purchased for. Moving a lot of water. And impressively so!
I didn’t know this and haven’t tried it yet but the pump can communicate wirelessly with others in the RW range. I will definitely have to get the next one out soon and start customizing settings
Im eager to play with settings to alternate flows and fine tune to eradicate dead spots where settlement could occur, although I doubt there could be any once 2 of these are working together!

Draw backs
I don’t really see many, the price is right, the magnet holds through 15mm glass (haven’t tested on thicker) the pump is quiet what more could we ask for???
One small problem is the position where the cable enters the pump, it stops you from being able to position the pump lower and face the outlet to the surface unless you twist the pump and get more cable in the tank. It’s really minor but worth a mention.

First impression within 20 minutes of operation.
1. It looks very plastic,
2. Will that little impellor push what its promising,
3. The controller is so light is there anything in this box?
4. Ok the magnets are properly stuck remember to twist them to separate (watch out for fingers)
5. Look it holds on 15mm glass
6. Man it pumps ALOT of water for its size!
7. Love the controllability and the adjustment of flow speed! REALLY NEAT!

Sizing to tanks

Helpful Videos

Would I buy another one?
Im already considering either another 2 x RW15 or 2 x RW20’s when they come out to put in my large tank im busy constructing (1.800 x 1.000 x .700)

Attachments

• jebao-rw15-wireless-wavemaker_zps56a21b75.jpg
    jebao-rw15-wireless-wavemaker_zps56a21b75.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 343
Last edited by a moderator:
How's the pitch on the impeller compared to the wp40?

I'm using 4 wp40 on my tank and looking to upgrade to the rw15. My problem now is the spread of the wp40, think it's slightly sharp. It pushes about 2,2m across and touches the surface at about 1m with the pump being 220mm deep(from surface).

It's like you said about surface agitation,I'm wanting more but without having to face pumps upward and cutting flow short in the corners although it does pickup settlement at that height with a small tornado swirl rising up.

Make sense?

@saaid i cant really say as i havent used the wp 40 but all i can say is im very happy with the rw's performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review, thanks :thumbup:

They are awesome pumps, I have the baby RW4 on my nano, very happy with the functions on it, no complaints yet.
One small problem is the position where the cable enters the pump, it stops you from being able to position the pump lower and face the outlet to the surface unless
Agreed. But I think that is about the only thing I can think of that needs improving.

Hi there I got a RW8 one side and a RW4 on other side of my 500l tank and it's got option to put the one controller on master and other on slave but it only control the modes of waves both side on the master controller and the feeding mode if you want to adjust speed you'll have to adjust it on both controllers as it don't control speed together but so far very good for me

Back
Top Bottom