Hand-me-down....

Reaction score
So I did just start running a Jebo 338 - but then changed my mind and bought a secondhand JBJ Delux 24 with skimmer, seio530 prop, LR etc.

Tank has been running for 7 months.So I get to skip the tank maturing process :whistling:. I have however inherted something else with the tank (don't be moaning at me now), it came with a nennie.

I have a healthy respect for the advice given by all you reefers - frankly I am terrified of the emoticons you will send my way if I do her any harm. I will say this, she looks healthy (compared to numerous googled photoies) and is happy enough to eat. I will post some pic's of her on the weekend.

Now I have some questions: Is the tank big enough for her? Currently she is about 8cm across - but how big will she get? Which of course you are going to ask "what is she?" I dunno, she is a rose colour, no visible "bubble tips". Condy maybe?

Obviously I want to try and let her settle down after the move and keep the tank as stable as possible, but the aquascaping is diabolical. I thought if I gave her 4 weeks to settle down and tried not to fiddle - would I then be able to get in there are scoot stuff around? What about adding more LR? Can I, will that still create mini-cycles in a mature tank? Should I be considering adding cured rock instead?

Some people believe that nennies are better off if they have clowns to care for them, should I be looking for a pair for her? At present there are no fish in the tank - only 2 hermies. I asked the former owners why they weren't putting her into their upgrade tank, they said that the clowns were stealing the food out her mouth.

Rest assured I am a lover of all things living - if I think that she is even remotely unhappy I will ensure she goes to a "happier" home, but if she is happy I would like to try and keep her - with a little help from all of you.

what kind of lights do you have and what are you feeding the nennie?

Hi Fish Finger! A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great to have you on-board!

Please post a picture of the tank, and the nemmie?

Hey and welcome.I agree with Jacques some pics will help us to I.D your nennie.Did you test your water as yet?

Will post pic on the weekend -when I actuall get a chance to download them. Lights - I will have to check (if you want a more detailed explaination then those double bulb thingies in blue & white, cause I have two of those). I fed her two little pieces of hake (1/4 thumbnail size) 2 days ago - was going to try a piece of prawn tonight.

Haven't tested the water yet - but I took all the water across when I took the tank, I figured it would be less disruptive for her that way.

Will post pic on the weekend -when I actuall get a chance to download them. Lights - I will have to check (if you want a more detailed explaination then those double bulb thingies in blue & white, cause I have two of those). I fed her two little pieces of hake (1/4 thumbnail size) 2 days ago - was going to try a piece of prawn tonight.

Haven't tested the water yet - but I took all the water across when I took the tank, I figured it would be less disruptive for her that way.

I would say you should upgrade your lightning system.By the sound of it you have one white T5 and one Blue T5 light.You should add one more of each.

As to feeding only ones a week.

Jinx - Fish Finger - being a Boyu nano, that sounds a LOT like the 18 watt PL tubes that you get standard with these nano's..... Unfortunately - these PL globes are not nearby enough to keep MOST nemmies.....

Jinx - Fish Finger - being a Boyu nano, that sounds a LOT like the 18 watt PL tubes that you get standard with these nano's..... Unfortunately - these PL globes are not nearby enough to keep MOST nemmies.....

Agree Jacques

How many liters of water does this tank hold? We are going to need to know exactly what lighting you have and your water parameters.
Add cured live rock only.
What other livestock do you have in the tank?
No, the anemone does not need a clownfish in captivity.

Saw some guys remove part of the lid or the whole thing and hang a 150w MH above the nano. You'll have more evaporation but the nano might be cooler in the summer as all is not enclosed anymore, but on the other hand the MH can add a little heat.
Otherwise, have a look in the nano threads to see the other light upgrade some guys did.

Maybe a stupid question, how long did previous owner had the anemone in the nano tank under that PL lights? If already for a couple of months, and anemone is happy, then most likely it is a bubble tip. They are ok under less intense lightning.

Best is, upload a picture, of anemone, and lights, filters etc.

Also at 8cm, it is too small to host clown fish.

Welcome to MASA buddy, nennies are very fussy so you will have to be on the ball depending on what nennie it is, especially with the lighting. As thingy said they don't need clowns but its amazing to see the natural behavior of the clown in the nennie, i never get tired of watching it.
colour is also inportant, white nennie = bad(usually)
and they shouldnt inflate and deflate during the day, usually means they dont like the water

LOL "it's "Anemone" or "Brenda" not "thingy" :whistling: "

I gather nennie has been in this tank for a couple of months already. Tank is +- 90 liters (if my gallon conversion is right), at the moment there is nothing else in the tank but 2 small hermits.

Lid-less is not an option unless I want Cat-fish :razz:. I gather the lights are a "dual daylight" bulb - I have 2 of those and blue LED night lights.

I also thought she might be a bubble tip (but she has no bubbles).

Hey fish finger, found this thread and was wondering how's the nennie doing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom