Hammerhead coral struggling

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Lemar, 8 May 2009.

1. Lemar

Lemar

i bought a hammerhead coral (green) 3 weeks ago. he was doing fine, and from 2 days ago we noticed that his flesh is pulling away from his sceleton at the sides? What can I do to prevent this coral from dying, as it's such a beautiful and expensive addition to my tank.
    could this be due to my low magnesium levels? (1050)
    Will an iodene bath help, or worsen the situtation?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi Lemar, sorry to hear bud, hope you can save it, as these are also one of my fav's. I can't help you on the chemisty question, but how is it looking? Is it extended or pulled back? How is your flow on it? Not sure if it might have a slight tear, and the flow is maybe too heave for it? Sorry, not the biggest expert here...

4. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Flow is medium to strong, no direct flow on it. flow in my tank is approximately 40x, so there is lots of flow in the tank. also it is extended

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Wow, then I have to back off here. Sorry dude... This is a bit above my knowledge of the coral. The fact that is is extended and the flow aren't that heavy, I have no advise for you. Sorry dude. I would like to see some experts handle this one. I think you might also want to ask for this thread to be moved to the URGENT HELP WANTED threads. There you might have an answer much sooner...

Good luck!!!

6. seank

seank

Is it pulling away from the side that the waterflow is coming from?

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Are there any other corals nearby that could be extending their sweeper tentacles and attacking the hammer coral at night?

8. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

No it's tearing from the other side

no other corals nearby, only a finger leather, but he is on the other side and as far as i know not toxic?

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

What are your other parameters like?

kH?
    pH?
    Calcium?

10. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Also do you have any idea of the water parameters of the tank where it came from, and how was the coral acclimatised if the parameters were very different. Usually the problem starts a long time before we eventually see the effects, so the problem could be from the previous tank.

11. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

I will test later today, but 3 days ago it was:
    KH = 7
    PH = 8.3
    Calcium = 390 (i added a buffer, bio calcium)
    Nope don't think it's the problem of the previous tank. Bought from a reputable sponsor. I acclimatised for 1 hour, adding my tank water every 10 minutes.

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Lemar - I did not contribute yet to this thread of yours. BUT, I was just thinking - isn't this perhaps a lighting shock effect, between the previous tank and yours?

What lighting was it kept under previously? I just KNOW that you have some awesome lights over your tank.... Your lights MIGHT just be a wee bit "too bright"?

13. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

As far as i know the previous tank also had 150W lights, even maybe 250W. Will double check. maybe i should put him in a darker part of the tank. But what effect will the tears on the sides have? will it affect the rest of the coral or will it heal?

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

It MIGHT heal Lemar.... unfortunately, at this stage it could just be a case of "wait-and-see".....

Perhaps dose some iodine (if you have some) in the tank - this COULD possibly assist with the healing process.

15. Warr7207

Warr7207

The LPS coral is called a hammer, the hammer-head is generally a shark :)

16. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Unfortunately these corals are very delicate around the head of the coral and are often damaged during collection or transportation. The biggest danger is brown jelly disease which could set in, this is a bacterial infection that is really deadly for the coral and extremely contagious to other corals please watch for it as it can wipe out all corals in your tank. If it is just the flesh that is damaged with no other infection place the coral in a quite area of the tank[very little flow-these corals don't like too much flow] and keep an eye on it, a pic at this point would be helpful. An Iodine would be helpful to the coral at this stage.

17. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I've read about dosing iodine in several treads now in the case of infection. How would one do this? Would one remove the affected coral and dip in a salt water and iodine solution? If so what sort of dosage of iodine would one use.

18. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I cant remember the dosages off the top of my head, but yes remove to coral and dip outside the system another way to go is a fresh water dip. I have had brown Jelly before and have never had any success treating it. IMO the only way to save the coral is to break off the infected heads and toss them. When removing the infected coral from the tank switch off the pumps and put the coral in a plastic bag in the tank before removing as you dont want to spread any of that jelly around.

19. Falcon

Falcon

post some pics lemar,i'm also battling some strange hammer problem right now but my coral is over a year old and was growing well before this.

i've lost one head which i broke off and dumped and fragged of a second(was still alive and seems to be recovering in my nano).this amkes me believe there something wrong in my big tank.:whistling:

20. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

hi guys, hammer not doing well. more of the corners are tearing apart. I took a photo yesterday, but forgot camera at home. I'm out of town untill wednesday. Will post pic then. I also tried the iodine dip and place the coral in a low flow area.

Recent Posts