Hammer with stomach trouble.

Reaction score
Hey all, wonder if you can tell me whats wrong with this LPS - I was away for a week or so in the UK and my wife called to tell me that all 4 heads of my hammer had "bubbles" - when I came back only one has the "bubble" - looks like the stomach is protruding

100_2580.jpg

And all 4 heads - what you reckon, Rennies or Bicarb of Soda?

100_2579.jpg

My parameters

Noname.jpg

My frog spawn does the same when splitting heads. I think that might be OK, maybe one of the experts can be more helpful.

Thanks Warr, feel a whole bunch better now, nice "expert" response to a newbies dilemma.

I am noobie just like you, got to keep it on the lighter side or we would all go insane with stress ;)

what about at lights out,have you ever noticed them,testing out the hammer?if not, check a few hours after lights out if they are anywhere near your hammer.

Clowns stick to one corner, but will check - I did notice that at lights out the rest of the hammer retracts as normal, but the "bubble stays there. You can see the mouth opening in the "bubble"

Could lighting be an issue? They are photosynthetic.

what lights are you currently running?i see your hammer is placed high up towards the surface,if it is MH's,then move it to the lower part of the tank.i do however highly doubt lighting is the cause.
but do keep an eye out on the clowns.
my 1 perc swims all over the place during the day, and has now begun hosting in my millepora at lights out.

Thanks Makaeel.

With all that coralline it is hard to believe but I have T8's which I have been about to upgrade for a while now - thus so high in the tank. Until a week ago the hammer looked great, it is about 1-2 months in the tank. Flow very moderate at the top of the tank on purpose.

I will watch that perc - whats interesting is that I read that the hammer will eat meaty foods, so I did a target feed of cyclopeez last night, and the bubble disappeared - back this morning.

Back
Top Bottom