Hammer Question

Reaction score
What is with this long tentacle compared to the others? Is this a sweeper tentacle ?

52847ced5b0dce42.jpg

Yip, the sweeper of death is out on the hunt :p

Hi, How many sweeper tentacle does your hammer have? The one I have (small) has about 6 permanently extended during the day. Does this mean it is hungry? I do target feed every week.

Hi, How many sweeper tentacle does your hammer have? The one I have (small) has about 6 permanently extended during the day. Does this mean it is hungry? I do target feed every week.

Where is it located with regard other corals, it may be that it can sense other corals near it, so it is being defensive?

As Wee man said, that is attack mode. Soon as any corals get near my Hammer he goes beserk. The sweepers pop-up everywhere. And it is deadly, I had a pincushion frag fall down from my reef right next to the hammer, dead in one night :(

Now i am worried. The closest things are a tube worm and some zoa's. They are doing fine, no apparent problems. What do you think?
FullTank4.jpg

Mad_Max - the hammer coral can still "sense" other corals in the vicinity. Even soft-corals. There is a "chemical signature" that each coral / anemone releases into the water. And other corals/anemone's can "pick that signal up".....

So why do they retract during the night?

Many corals retract at nght, it is a form of defence, loose tentacles wafting in the dark could get bitten off, also many lps (as well as anemonies) will expel the water inside them, and refill with fresh, to get rid of nasties inside.

I have noticed my Hammer is getting loads of "double" heads is this normal ?

Very good sign, those heads will eventually split.

What will happen with the splits. Why I ask is the hammer is on it's own piece of LR on the sandbed without much around it.

Try and keep him away from the reef due to his killer instincts.

Back
Top Bottom