Urgent help needed Hammer coral got zapped!

Reaction score
Hi guys, i recently got z hammer coral for the tank, and last night we had some friends over... Needless to say i was telling them how to feed it and care for it etc, and left the lounge for a while... As I came back, I saw my mate with the syringe in the tank, and he sprayed the hammer with some Reef Snow!

The coral was perfectly extended yesterday, but you can see how it has receded now...

Is there anything I can do to coax her out again and prevent any damage that may have occurred?

Bud get that PIC up so that we can get a better idea.

Did your mate squirt into the corals mouth or just around the outside?

How much snow?

Was the snow kept in the fridge or next to the tank?

How old is the bottle of snow?

What are your water parameters now and what do the other corals look like?

rofl.... ****ing iPad and MASA uploader working only on firefox...

the coral is coming out slowly, and I've turned the white lights off, meaning that the only lights on at the moment are the acitinic blue ones, and some blue LED's. I've also dosed a bit of Microbacter 7, which I've been doing for the past week or so (before the coral joined us)

I don't know how much snow - he said a capful, but it could have been 1/2 a cap for all I know. And I think it was around the edge of the coral, because it's only receded on 1/3rd of the coral's face.

Bottle of snow is about 6 to 8 months old.

I'll try to get a pic up as soon as I can...

rofl.... ****ing iPad and MASA uploader working only on firefox...

I'll try to get a pic up as soon as I can...
:lol::lol:..I hear you...I have the same problem...on a serious note...no offense, but I don't think I like you'r mate...:eek:..

Sorry man.. Better to not tell people the secrets of reef keeping.. I just keep telling people that zoas will kill you and the tangs can chop your finger off

That sucks! I once caught a friend with his hands in my tank after he got out of the swimming pool to get a beer!

He had a huge palm print on his back for a week!

And I think it was around the edge of the coral, because it's only receded on 1/3rd of the coral's face.
If it was around the outide of the coral it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That sucks! I once caught a friend with his hands in my tank after he got out of the swimming pool to get a beer!

He had a huge palm print on his back for a week!

Well done lol....

But in this case i dont really think reef snow couldve harmed the coral...maybe some pics will help to identify if its indeed "zapped"

Last edited:
Reef snow will go off if not kept refrigerated once opened.
Sigh..another Newbie mistake I managed to make..:blush:..sigh..don't I ever pass "Newbie" stage...:p..learn something new everyday...:eek:

I tell them they can get Cholera, flesh eating Marine Bacterium and Typhoid Fever if they touch my water...
I like the Flesh Eating one...:p

No problems with dosing the reef snow. I hope it didnt have a needle on the syringe. The guy might have jabbed your coral and injected it!

Havent used it in AGES but now that you mentioned it NJ...I remember reading something like that on the bottle....but who of us ever read the instructions :p
I actually remember reading my bottle and I went to go check again after I saw the Post....mine just states that "store in cool dry place"...nothing about the fridge..:blush:

I live in Cape Town - everywhere is a cool, dry place. I'll keep the snow in the larder from now on though.

Seriously though - I don't think the downstairs section of my place gets hotter than 15 to 18 degrees in high summer. It gets next to no sun, and no sun-facing walls to soak up the heat.

She is starting to come out more and more though. Will reassess later today, and see how it's going.

I live in Cape Town - everywhere is a cool, dry place. I'll keep the snow in the larder from now on though.

Seriously though - I don't think the downstairs section of my place gets hotter than 15 to 18 degrees in high summer. It gets next to no sun, and no sun-facing walls to soak up the heat.

She is starting to come out more and more though. Will reassess later today, and see how it's going.
Our place is basically the same..enterance hall downstairs is +-15 winter and..max I'll say 23 summer,the hottest day possible.....hence I remember that I looked at the storing of it..if it said fridge, trust me, I would have put it in the fridge..sigh..so I guess mine is "off"..:(

Last edited:
Okay, so he nitrite/nitrate levels are perfect, but the ph is too high at between 8.5 & 9. The temp was also far too low at 22 deg...!

The coral has now retreated even further! I wish I could post a pic!

Hlp!?

Okay, so he nitrite/nitrate levels are perfect, but the ph is too high at between 8.5 & 9. The temp was also far too low at 22 deg...!

The coral has now retreated even further! I wish I could post a pic!

Hlp!?
@cptmayhem I see you used Image Uploader...load the picture and I'll get it on the Thread for you...I'll then explain how you can do it next time...that's the quickest I can think of..

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant use the uploader on my iPad... No flash capability or support for the safari browser... I'll be able to upload it later when i have access to my other omputer...

Back
Top Bottom