Hammer Coral - for beginners

Reaction score
Hi All,

as i continually plan my tank population (early days so most planning in my head)
is a hammer coral a ok coral to start off with? it is so far my absolute fav and i just wonder if it will be ok with other corals? it does have stinging tentacles rite? so will lata coral additions be ok?

thanks

Reaction score
I consider my euphylia (torch coral) which i`ve had for about 6 years to be my tank `monitor` as if their is something not quite right with water parameters they tend to show signs way before other corals.

Reaction score
Sorry Mekaeel. I beg to differ on the lots of flow theory. Most LPS corals do better with medium flow. And do not like laminar flow at all. High flow will cause the tentacles to chafe against their own skeleton damaging them.

Aim for a flow rate of less than 20x and IMO about 15x or less in the area the hammer will be residing.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
not alot of flow
Sorry Mekaeel. I beg to differ on the lots of flow theory
speed reading again Hill?

Snoek, I think as long as your system is fairly stable, adequate lighting and no tsunami's in there, you should be fine, my tank has deteriorated somewhat and I have 2 hammer corals and 2 frogspawn corals, all doing very well and all growing new heads.

Low flow and not too intense lighting.

Reaction score
speed reading again Hill?
The worst part is I read his original post twice just to make sure and I still got it wrong. Ahhh it is eventually Friday and the brain has switched off a long time ago. :lol:

Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question but what is laminar flow?
Laminar flow is a constant flow in one direction. As apposed to random flow.

Muz

Reaction score
I have to share my new addition, he has only been in the tank a week, seems quite happy, I have him right in the corner so there is low flow and on the edges of the MH.

HammerJune07.gif

ed

Reaction score
Euphyllia sp is not very hard to keep. very forgiving as to light and current (not to strong though). but the euphyllia divisa is not so forgiving (a good water condition indicator)
IME would not advise lps for any beginner, rather go softie route first, and if they do well then your euphyllia should do well also.

Reaction score
beautyfull coral mekaeel will have to get that one off you