Hallo from Noob Valley

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Kharnyge, 28 Jan 2012.

1. Kharnyge

Kharnyge

Hey there guys...........so....ive been reading a lot about marine tanks the past week on this forum.....and today I bought myself a Boyu TL-450.I am a complete noob at this so Im taking this slowly.

Already the noob in me is showing cos like a dumbass I switched the heater on BEFORE the pump was on(didnt realise what I plugged in).........You can guess what happened next.....lol

So currently Ive got the pump running after I added some Bahamas Oolite live argonite reef sand...........going to let everything clear up nicely first.

So....Yes Ive probably did 20 things wrong already but im sure some of you guys will correct me and learn me some terminology so I dont sound like a complete idiot.....lol

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!
    Don't worry about the heater I've done the same during a water change, kind of forgot to switch it off and only realized once I started smelling burning plastic.
    What you planning on keeping in the tank?

4. Kharnyge

Kharnyge Thread Starter

well.........want to get some live rocks in.....kinda want to get in pollups.torch and frogspawn.............thats just a few things ive seen and like.........livestock wise further along the line definitely some clowns and other small school fish that will go well with them.........and one of those boxer shrimps or something similar....lol

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Welcome to MASA..I've got a TL-450..got 2 Nemos..1 Cleaner Shrimp and a Bi-Colour Blenny...word of advise..you will have a hard time keeping your temp down...try and do some LED Unit if you can...either that or get a EVA or Chiller...will Link EVA later as I'm on my cell and NOT doing a good job at texting hehee

6. Kharnyge

Kharnyge Thread Starter

Think I might have been over eager too fast.........ok ill fess up....lol.............The shop where I got the tank also told me it was fine to put in some live rock from the start.....which I fear now might have been hasty........From the way they talk it doesnt seem that the shops live rock has alot living ...................lol...........they have a wide variety of corals and so forth and the way they talked I gathered that Ill have to buy them anyway.

So....in short........Ive got about 2.5kg of Fiji sitting in the tank already.........Ok ill duck now.....lol

7. Kharnyge

Kharnyge Thread Starter

pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the water is still bit murky...........have to go back to where I bought it tomorrow to get a new heater so then ill get a few other things like a thermometer and test kit......

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You need to put live rock in from the start, wait till tank has cycled before adding any livestock. You'll Ned to add a few more kilos too. What else did the shop advise, have you kept the filter material the same?

10. Kharnyge

Kharnyge Thread Starter

filter material is still the same..........how much more live rock would you advise?

Im definately going to get a stable reef going first before even thinking of adding any livestock........still a bit hazy about the whole cycle thing.
    they didnt have any premixed water so they gave me some Tropic Marin seasalt and told me to use tap water :(

Last edited: 28 Jan 2012
  11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

12. Kharnyge

Kharnyge Thread Starter

13. Kharnyge

Kharnyge Thread Starter

ok so.........after reading about possible dead particles on Live Rock and the fact that I assume my LR is pretty "dead" ive switched on my skimmer this morning (some dude on a youtube vid told me I could leave it off if there is no livestock.....lol).
    Already see little bit of build-up in the cup......so hey.Going to the LFS today to replace my heater and see what else I can grab(what my budget will allow)

What I have noticed is that my tank has a lot of particles flying around.....but I take it thats normal

Last edited: 29 Jan 2012
  14. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome dude!

15. Kharnyge

Kharnyge Thread Starter

ok......so few things.........not happy with current location of the tank.....so Im going to get a nice credenza I saw on a popular online selling site and attempt a move today........wish me luck...........its only about 70 kilos....pfffft.....lol

16. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA.

17. salty dog

salty dog

TAP WATER :eek: OK, you're still cycling so you might be fine but never use tap water again. How did you measure the salinity after mixing it?

18. salty dog

salty dog

Oh, and welcome. Where are my manners. :whistling:

19. Kharnyge

Kharnyge Thread Starter

ill have to go measure at my closest LFS for now........I intend to do water changes constantly for the next couple of days.Going to premix at the LFS and every time I go get a water change ill bring a sample.

20. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Welcome to the forum! Get a refractometer asap! You need to know you SG when mixing salt! Tap water is bad bad bad! Invest in a R.O unit, will save you in the long run!

21. Kharnyge

Kharnyge Thread Starter

anywhere I can go read about RO units and perhaps get an idea about pricing.......?......could you DIY one at low cost?

Recent Posts