Hallo fish world

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Louis Scheepers, 22 Feb 2010.

1. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

Hi everyone.

I have been following the MASA forums for quite a while now and decided that it is time to join...

I have been keeping tropical fish since I was in Gr. 10 (2001), but sold everything when I went to Varsity. I have always been interested in marines, but couldn't afford it. Last year June, I got the opportunity to take over my future-brother in-law's marine setup. Since I am still a student I don't have a lot of money to spend, so the tank is evolving very slow... but this is what I've got:

Main display: 122(l)x45(w)x65(h) 10mm glass (top bracing)
    Sump: 64x38x35 (4mm glass)

The filter is the old wet-dry trickle filter system, with bio-balls. I have an old Queen skimmer that is not the best, but it works fine. I also have a phospban reactor 150. Since I have a major algae problem, I built a DIY Coil Denitrator about 4months ago, and it seems to work very well.

I have 4x 39watt T5's that supply daylight from 12:30 till 20:00. And 2x 54watt T5's both actinic's on from 10:00 till 22:00.

I dont know how much life rock, but there are two big piles... probably 20kg?!?

Circulation is ok, with a 3000l/h return pump from the sump, and 3x 1000l/h powerheads in the tank.

Lifestock:

Fish: 1 clown, 1 pajama cardinal, 1 scopas tang.
    Corals: Green striped mushrooms, cladiellia coral, green and blue pollyps.
    Inverts: 2 Pacific Cleaner shrimps, 1 Red fire shrimp, 2 dwarf hermit crabs, 2 turbo snails.

The front glass of my tank is scratched quite badly, so I want to have that replaced (don't know where the best place is to buy glass). The cabinet is wood only, and since I dont trust that, I want to build a steel frame when the glass is being fixed.

I have a major algae problem. First it was red slime algae, that came with the tank and covered everything. I got rid of that by using "nored" or something like that, it said on the bottle that it is reef safe, but my soft corals took a big hit. That happened last year August. Since then green hair algae, other hard green algae that looks like grass, and one that almost looks like Ivy has spread all over the tank... I dont know what to do.

My paramaters are as follow:
    Temperature: 26*C
    Salinity: 1,026sg.
    P.H.: 8,5
    Alkalinity: 8dKH.
    Calcium: 430ppm.
    Magnesium (dont know)
    Phosphate: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Ammonium: 0

Will be glad if anyone could help.

Thanx

Louis

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

First of all what's taken you so long to say hi?...lol. Great to have you onboard.

Secondly where the pics? Not only do we love pics but it also helps us understand
    your system a bit better, so some pics of the engine room and some of the tank would be great.

And lastly i find it hard to belive that you have an algea problem when your
    Nitrates & Phosphates are reading 0, what test kits are you using and are you
    using RO water?

For now thats me, have to get back to work :whistling:

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Hi and welcome, maybe the NO3 and phosphates are 0 because of all the algea.

5. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers Thread Starter

Thanx for the replies! I have uploaded some pics. THe tank doesn't look to good, you can see there are a lot of algae... and I just cleaned it like two hours ago.

There are bubble algae; hair algae, and then two unknown algae types. One look like grass, it is a hard algae and you can't remove it from the rocks (it sticks like glue). The second is light green with branches and round leaves; it is a creeper that makes long branches with roots.

I am using RO water, it has been tested, and its fine.

I am using API (aquarium pharmaceuticals) Phosphate test kit and Prodac NO3 test kit.

The zero readings can't be from the algae only, since the algae covered everything and I had phosphate and nitrate readings (About August last year). I then used Phosban and built the Denitrator. Since then the readings are zero.

I have no idea what to do. It is ruining the look of my tank and it is starting to cover my corals......

6. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome Louis

Bubble algae = dont woory too much, it doesnt spread that badly if you leave it alone
    Hair algae - what type?
    Grass - could be a type of caulerpa? Need pics
    Round leaves - sounds again, like a type of caulerpa

Post pics, it will help the chaps help you

7. Louis Scheepers

I added some pics of the one that looks like grass. I don't know what kind of hair algae, there are green and brown ones...?!? I dont have pics of the last one, since I removed almost all of it today, but it will be back in a week...

How do I get rid of it? I bought the Scopas Tang a while ago, and he has been in my main display for almost a week. He is eating alot of algae, but there is a lot. I turned some of the life rock upside down, so that the algae doesn't get any light, and hopefully they will die. Sadly I can't do it with all the rocks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Feb 2010
  8. mnd123

mnd123

9. mnd123

mnd123

Looks like you have Briopsis and defo GHA - may need to scrub/cook the rocks if you have zero PO4, a scrubber may also help

10. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Wat doen jy met die pap lepel ? :p

11. Louis Scheepers

What is Briopsis and defo GHA (default green hair algae?)... sorry, but I don't know all the names and terms yet.

What is scrubbing and cooking? What do I do with the rocks with corals on them?

O ja... die paplepel... I use it to mix the salt for the waterchange water.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2010
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Briopsis, that is that hard green strands of hair. Very hard and very tough. Almost nothing eats the hard ones, some do eat new softer strands still growing. Only solution, try to pull it off by hand, control it. But in your case. do not know what to say.

I had some small patch for over a year, did not spread and just stayed like that. Yesterday after two weeks away I notice some new strands. So I'm pulling my few this weekend.

With green algae like that. Are you sure your phosphates are Zero? Or do you have so mush green algae that they use all the PO4 and there for you do not get any reading.
    Try setting up an scrubber. If algae wants to grow, give them a spot where they can grow like mad. The algae on the scrubber will out compete those in the tank. Hopefully.

13. mnd123

mnd123

The only real way to win against Briopsis is to raise your Mg - very carefully

Tangs will not eat the stuff.

Cooking LR is literally leaving it in the dark in a black bucket with a heater and flow and letting the algae die off, and scrubbing the grit out of the rocks where the algae gets attached.

Have you any hermits?

Sorry GHA is Green Hair Algae, Defo is an irritation english short version of definately

14. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Reduce light. 8 hours blue, 6 hours white. How old are the bulbs?

15. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

louis, post the pic of your sump aswell...

16. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Raise your KH to 11 and ask a friend to check your water for nitrate and phosphate.
    But not with your test kit.

17. Louis Scheepers

How much should I raise my Magnesium?

I do have two dwarf hermits (think it is the scarlet leg hermit?).

5 of the 6 bulbs are about 5 months old.

Will have my water tested tomorrow by someone else.

What do I do about the Phosphate, how do I know whether the algae doesn't just absorb it? I think the levels should be fine, because I started testing before the algae outbreak, and the phosphate were low then...

18. mnd123

mnd123

with briopsis I dont believe light has a major effect (water quality and the like before lights) as I have had my lights OFF for 2 weeks in my old tank and its still growing :)

19. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Cause and effect... get rid of the bio balls, and upgrade the skimmer, and your algae problem will improve dramatically.

Oh, by the way - WELCOME to MASA

What are you studying?

Hennie

20. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Louis! Great to have you on-board!

Can you please post your actual water parameters for us again? And tell us what your feeding regime is?

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well couldn't see the pictures before. But yes I do aggree with Reef Maniac (Hennie). Upgrade your skimmer.

Also look into replacing the bio-balls with a DSB.

If you remove the leftmost glass panel, you can fit a bigger skimmer.
    And the second from right panel, then the middle chamber can be your DSB.

Also you are thinking of replacing the wood stand with a steel frame. While busy think about upgrading or enlarging your sump. You have so much wasted space on the right that you currently use for storage. Imagine that space was part of your DSB.

But first things first. Get yourself a better skimmer. One rated at double your tank volume. The biggest you can afford. And that will fit into the space you got.

Recent Posts