Halimeda - Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Fanie, 21 Jan 2015.

1. Fanie

Fanie

So there's been a macroalgae growing in my tank for a while and it turned out to be Halimeda. I read up about it a bit, but to me it doesn't sound like the advantages outweigh the risk of them turning my tank green or devouring my calcium.

Am I missing some pros? All I know is that it can absorb some nitrates, etc.

I am worried that it will use all my calcium (I don't have a Ca test) and that there will be none left for future sps. I also read that if they grow well it's an indication of good water quality, does that mean that my tank is ready for some sps?

My overall question is to pluck it out or leave it in the display?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

they need high levels of magnesium as well.

Plus good light.

So if they are growing you got something going for you. But as you add more SPS you most likely would need to add calcium and magnesium.

4. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I think it looks good. I'd leave it...

5. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

The secret to keeping them is keep them well under control. When they get too much they go sexual and you risk an ammonia spike. Early warning signs are few leaves Turing white. Otherwise a great maro algae

6. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Yeah, pruning is important. Try to remove older growth that is covered with other algae to keep it growing well.

Don't be concerned if it's pale green or white in the morning before lights go on, that's normal. Just remove it if it starts to look like this:

[​IMG]

Recent Posts