Half a World Away

Reaction score
Just wanted to drop in and sort of introduce myself. Since I'm about half a world away it's always nice to make new friends. I live in Sacramento, California, U.S.A.

I'm in the process of setting up and new 90 gallon reef tank. I've been away from the hobby for about 20 or so years and I think things have become more complicated. :) Back in my time about all we worried about was the specific gravity of the water, the temp,and keeping the glass clean. Water changes were made but not on any schedule. Kept the tank topped off to replace water as it evaporated. I think I have a lot to learn.

Anyway, Hello to all and I will start a thread of my build once I get into full swing.

Greg

Hi Greg,
Welcome to MASA, no question too dumb, glad you found us.

Looking forward to watching your tank build.

Welcome to MASA Greg (?). Glad you can join us!
Not so difficult to keep marines, just do your homework, read a lot and be patient ;)
Systems can be very simple. You have your main display overflowing into a sump with 3 chambers. 1 = skimmer, 2 = Deep Sand Bed (DSB), 3 = return pump. That is it ;), other than that you keep all other equipment like the heater, pH monitor etc also in the sump and you get lights according to what you wanna keep. Strong for SPS and not so strong for LPS and softies. Read through the threads, you'll gain a lot of knowledge :wave2:

WOW! Another new US member! GREAT! Awesome to have you aboard! Thanks for joining MASA Greg! You say that you have been out of the hobby for 20 years... yeah - the "science" of keeping marines have REALLY changed a bit since then!

Please have a look around - read through our other "New Members" threads...

Remember the following 2 things:
1) PATIENCE IS THE NAME OF THE REEFING GAME!
2) THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "STUPID QUESTION" - please ask as MANY questions as YOU CAN to ensure that you can become a SUCCESSFUL 21st century REEFER!

Please share EVERYTHING you do, with us? We also LOVE PICTURES!
Please post ALL pictures are you go along!

Good luck on your journey into the new world of MARINES keeping!

Hi GregAW and welcome to Marine Aquariums of South Africa!

Welcome Greg.:) 90 gallon. That would be around 350 litre's or more. Cool size to work with. What other equipment have you bought so far, and what do you plan on keeping.

welcometomasa
enjoiy your stay!!

i have come back after almost 10 years, it has changed plenty, but well worth it

Maybe I should start that new thread now. :) I can post pictures and give information as to what I have now and what I may be adding in the future.

sounds good, try the members section and setups

Maybe I should start that new thread now. :) I can post pictures and give information as to what I have now and what I may be adding in the future.

Great idea:thumbup:

By the way, it's 18:50 in London England where i live 20:50 in SA what time are you at?

So, in other words you just had tea, Mike just had supper and I'm :1:

OK, have a couple on me... :peroni: :peroni: :peroni:

Just to say: WELCOME to MASA, Greg :biggrin:

... and welcome back to what is a totally new hobby.

Hennie

Ok, where should I start this tank thread? I hope to build a nice reef tank with fish, corals, and whatever else looks good. May make for a good excuse for a larger tank later on.

Back
Top Bottom