HaiYang M-500 Nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by blackknight08, 8 May 2012.

1. blackknight08

blackknight08

My nano is now nearing the end of its 3rd week of cycling. Brown and green algae's starting to form and strange things lurking from the LR. Does anybody else own the HaiYang M-500 Nano?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Congrats on getting her wet...can't wait for those pic's...:biggrin:

4. blackknight08

blackknight08 Thread Starter

Here's a list of what I have seen so far growing/crawling :) (at least I think so):
    1. Bristle worm
    2. 1 Big feather duster
    3. a few tiny feather dusters
    4. A creature with three claws living in a tube like thing... creepy
    5. 5 or so Zoas (starting to open)
    6. Brittle Starfish or similar (tiny, saw him last night when I put lights on he hid)
    7. Algae... lol :)
    8. Aiptasia :(
    Can't believe all this came on the LR... has been pretty extreme :yeahdude:

Question:
    1. I got 3.3Kg Dead rock, 2.0kg LR in DT and 0.5kg of LR in compartments at back of tank. Should I wait for the cycle to end before adding the next 2.3kg of LR or should it be going in now?
    2. I have only noticed NO3 going up and not NH3/4 or NO2... Good or Bad?
    :thumbup:

5. blackknight08

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of the scaping:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. belindamotion

:lol::lol:
    Not good..:(
    how much...? Can you chisel it off...

You should put you'r LR in all at once...you just going to "prolong" you'r cycle by adding LR piece by piece...

Last edited: 8 May 2012
  7. blackknight08

Ok great, ill see if I can get to a LFS to get the rest of the LR... That was all I can afford when I got it :). Any LFS you know that sell good LR, the stuff I got is dense. I want a nice big piece with lots of big and small hole :)

The aiptasia is in holes, I killed two of the big ones two weeks ago, now there's two minute ones popping up and a 3rd one getting bigger daily. Should I zap them while they bairly visible? or wait until they easier to inject?

8. belindamotion

Honestly...chisel it off..I know..:(..easier said than done...:(...the more you mess with them, the more they spread...:p...you'r in a perfect position to remove them as you have no livestock and can get to you'r LR and scrape...scratch...dig..chisel the buggers permanently off...:blush:

If it's good quality cured then it shouldn't be a problem...but best to add all IMHO although not always possible...:blush:

Last edited: 8 May 2012
  9. Mc

Mc

Its amazing what can crawl out of the LR.:lol:

I found a sea hare the other day that I have never seen and about two days ago I spotted a crab hiding in my rock.

Is this an aquaria nano?

10. blackknight08

Thanks belinda for the advice :).

haha MC that is some ugly creature. Its really cool if you just sit in front of it for a while, the small things one sees. There's these white worms chowing on the algae :).

The Nano is some random make (if I understand the question). Its a HaiYang M-500 nano, weird make....

11. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

i wouldve added alot more rock for cycle. coz everytime you add more after this you will have a mini cycle, so more time wasted and bigger risk involved with stocking

12. blackknight08

Thanks jsREEFn.

I will consider getting some more on Saturday if i find a good piece. Then let it do the cycle for an extra two weeks? I am only in the 3rd week so far, so if I add the rest of the LR on Sat. should I leave it to cycle for total of 8 weeks instead of the 6 weeks I was going to?

13. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

no prob dude, as for the cycle,its hard to determine exactly how long you would need to cycle... the cycle ending is determined by your main parameters ie,ammonia,nitrite and nitrate should be on 0mg/l.... it could take days,weeks or months... but weekly testing should help determin more or less.there are products also on the market to help speeden up the cycle but if you a newbie, run a normal cycle as it will help build your experience...there after your can SLOWLY add stock but also monitor it ass you add in order to maintain it low.... when you ready to add corals you do some more testing of kh,calcium.magnesium etc... these levels ,if not correct, can be buffered with off the shelve products to correct levels before adding corals...

Last edited by a moderator: 10 May 2012
  14. blackknight08

Awesome thanks.
    I been testing the water twice a week. Only seen an increase in Nitrates. Ammonia and Nitrites are remaining at 0 for now, so its not a huge cycle or hasn't started properly yet. But the last week has been the most growth so far, it was like an explosion of growth :)

So is it fine that I dont monitor kh and calcium for now, I have been, but would prefer not to :) I test NH3/4, NO2, NO3, KH, Ca, PO and PH.

15. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

basice cycle ......amonia turns into nitrites and then into nitrates... so nitrate is the final product of the cycle... we remove it or maintain it by doin water changes monthly/weekly or there is new products on the market to help in removal, seein as tho u have same tank . @mandarinman has used it so hit him up for advice on that products

as for kh.. it also affects fish and helps keep some parameters stable ie.ph ... so i would say yes, in initial stages test amonia,nitrite,nitrate and kh.. also make sure to keep your salinity stable and ph aswell

phosphates will fuel algae growth(mostly bad) so also keep it closest or on 0

cal,mag etc you only start testing/buffering when you ready to add corals

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Mc

Mc

But not as ugly as the algae it consumes.;)

17. blackknight08

Tank has been running for a few months now, but haven't really done much. It was the scaping always putting me off, it was just huge chunks of rock everywhere and no matter how I put them it upset me, plus the tank has no colour. So I decided to take the big chunks out and put them in a separate tank (just in case i destroy my bio) and start only buying LR with some cool creatures on.

My green chromis's [grammar] unfortunately didn't make it and everyday one was missing cause the damn crabs were eating them :(. The first colour I got now is my Clown. Got a hermit, goby and shrimp. Bought star polyps but only half of them are happy they been in the tank for about 2 months now.

Going to hit the LFS this afternoon and get some colour for the tank. I broke one of the globes a while back and when i bought a new one to my surprise it was so much brighter, so going to replace the 2nd globe as well :) Also caught one of the two crabs, they just hide inside the rock day and night and eat all my food.

Star polyp

[​IMG]

tank before I stripped it down

[​IMG]

18. blackknight08

This is what it looks like now after removing all those big chunks, except there's colt coral on the left.. will put up pic soon

[​IMG]

19. blackknight08

Star Polyps at night

[​IMG]

20. Mc

Mc

I like it better with the rock, it looks so empty now.
    The rock will look a lot better once it has some coral and coraline algae on it.

21. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

do you have a FTS of this tank??? is it like a boyu?

Recent Posts