Hair alge problem

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Newbiejb, 30 May 2016.

1. Newbiejb

Newbiejb

Hi guys wonder if any one can help me im at wits end with the hair alge. I reduced my nitrates to 1ppm my phosphates is 0.04ppm im dosing nopox every day scrubed the rocks reduced my lights to 12 hours using zetlights thats from dawn to night. But still my hair alge grows i also have an scrubber in my sump. 4 urchins 10 snails foxface and eibli angel but no difference. Any help please.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Pics if you don't mind. Phosphates will be low because of the algae in the tank absorbing the nutrients. I have heard of a couple of guys who have not had any success with NOPOX and switched to another brand or diy chemical mix. I would first find the reason as to why you are having high nutrients. Try cutting your lighting period down even more, maybe start from 9am to 7pm. What water are you using for your tank ie tap water or RO water? Also one of the biggest contributors are overfeeding, maybe cut it down in half. Also flakes and pellets don't get eaten as readily as frozen or live foods so they tend to get trapped in tight spaces where they don't get eaten. Flow is another contributor but I would start with the first 3 items mentioned.

4. Newbiejb

Newbiejb Thread Starter

My high nutrients came from not knowing to clean my sump for almost 9 months. Nopox brought my nitrates down from 25 to 1 in about a week. Ro water 1tds. Pinch of pelets in morning and 1/4 block of mixed frozen at night. Flow is more than enough. 2x rw8 wavemakers 12000 lt return pump. Alge scruber is also working overtime.

5. Kender

Kender Charl

I had the same problem some years ago, and the only thing that worked was running Rowa Phos and activated carbon in a reactor for a month and I increased my tank temperature to 27 degrees Celsius. After a couple of weeks the algae turned yellow and died. I'm not saying you should do this, just saying what worked for me.
    Good luck I know it is a pain in the but, but it will go away eventually. If you choose to up your temp, check that all live stock can handle it, or you can put some of the rock in a separate container with salt water, a heater and a power head, and test the results. Keep in mind that normal test kits only pick up inorganic phosphates and not the ones stuck in the algae.

6. Rossreefer

Rossreefer

Try raising your MG to as this will promote Coraline growth and Algae die off

7. Newbiejb

Newbiejb Thread Starter

My mg is already at 1600

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
  8. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333

Mg is bit on the high side. Not a bit actually.... Too high is the right term. to my knowledge 1380 is sufficient. Also, are you dosing any elements and vitamins for corals as that also tend to feed algea

9. ascheff

ascheff

My Mg have been above 1600 for 2 years, no issues.

10. Newbiejb

Newbiejb Thread Starter

I know mg is abit high but that wouldn't cause hair alge. No vitamins only reaf pearls due to low nutrient to feed my Xenias they collapsed because nutrients went down.

11. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

@Newbiejb you can go the tough route. Pull them out, vacuum your substrate and your sump at least once a week. Like I said cut your lighting period down and your feeding to half of what you are feeding now (Don't worry your fish should be fine). Also maybe get Orca titanium with Orca Bio cubes works excellent.

12. Newbiejb

Newbiejb Thread Starter

Tx i am gone try everything. Has any one tried phosphate rx together with nopox. I read that if you get po4 down to 0 its easier to pull algae off.

13. Newbiejb

Newbiejb Thread Starter

I need some expert advice. Tested my water last night again. No3 is 1 po4 is 0.04 cuted lights 11am to 5pm but still alge grows. My kh is at 11 and mg is 1500 calcium bit low 240 but working on it. Cleaned sump and vacuumed sand but still no results. Feeding every 2nd day only once pelets. Im loosing this battle. My Xenias is melting due to low nutrients and my anemone wasnt doing well moved him to coral qt tank doing beter. Pleeaaaase help.

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That doesn't sound right. Have you double checked your CA reading with a different kit or from your LFS?

Are you sure you have normal hair algae and not Bryopsis? Can you send us a close up pic of the algae just to make sure, as treatment methods will differ.

15. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Getting rid of algae isnt a quick process. Are you still dosing nopox?
    Id bring calcium up to where it should be. What is your tanks pH?
    What helped me a lot was running a very fine filter sock and replacing it daily. Problem with algae is as it dies it breaks off and fuels its own growth again.

16. Newbiejb

Newbiejb Thread Starter

uploadfromtaptalk1465373605234.jpg

17. Newbiejb

Newbiejb Thread Starter

Its goten worse that on this pic. I used a different ca test kit. Will check at lfs on weekend. Yes im still dosing nopox daily. Dosing alk ca daily randys resipe.

18. Newbiejb

Newbiejb Thread Starter

Do have filter sock changing every 2 days.

19. Newbiejb

Newbiejb Thread Starter

Ph was 9 last night but 8.5 in day.

20. 2una

2una

Keeping the PO4 low you need to do over time....If your rocks have PO4 locked in them it takes a lot of time for it to leach out which the algae will feed on...
    If it is GHA you can also directly squirt it with hydrogen peroxide (10 volume) if your ok doing that....just don't go overboard with it as it will lower your ph if you dump too much in.......Is safer to remove the rock & do it that way but works in tank also...just not usually recommended...1ml per 10Gal(37L) is considered ok so halve that amount for a max amount to use.
    It will kill bristleworms & don't go using it close to shrimps
    1ml old test kit syringe...directly squirt the gha...next day it will turn white.....that's if it is GHA if its bryosis like Viper suggested you check the peroxide won't do anything

Last edited: 8 Jun 2016
  21. Newbiejb

Newbiejb Thread Starter

So i have a 110 gal tank fo should i do 55ml dosing in tank per day as it will be impossible to remove rocks it not just patches its all over.

Recent Posts