Hair algae

lindsay pollard

pipefish
Reaction score
thanx to u all for the great info about my sump info.
there is only one problem i cant fit my skimmer into the first compartment .NOW what should i do ?Herman (kanga) im going to mail u some pics now.
cheers Lindsay

thanx to u all for the great info about my sump info.
there is only one problem i cant fit my skimmer into the first compartment .NOW what should i do ?Herman (kanga) im going to mail u some pics now.
cheers Lindsay

No Sweat mail away:thumbup:

caught 2 of those rock pool blenies today and added them to their new home.heard they also eat algae so here goes hope ive done the right thing,well ill be observing.getting a new tank tomorrow 2m with all accesories for mahala small bonus for me .let u know how it is.

65478e6e47c4727.jpg
65478e6e22df213.jpg
65478e6e06624a3.jpg
65478e6dcfd22d0.jpg

OK Good news is we got the pics posted

Bad news we need to change that sump

will draw a pic now

caught 2 of those rock pool blenies today and added them to their new home.heard they also eat algae so here goes hope ive done the right thing,well ill be observing.getting a new tank tomorrow 2m with all accesories for mahala small bonus for me .let u know how it is.

If you are talking about klipfish, watch your temperature, from what I've read they don't do well at high temps (25+) for extended periods.

you will need to remove almost all that media in your sump! (hair curlers ,bio balls and ceramic pieces) these will only cause a buildup of detritus followed by amonia and nitrate spikes!!
rather modify the sump to fit a dsb ,and macro algae. also remove the jebo skimmer its doing no good

regards

calvin

Welcome to MASA Lindsay! WOW! A 2 metre tank for mahala! Now that's a nice late Christmas pressie!

What are your water parameters like? Have you measured them lately? Do you have a DSB in you tank at all? (I does not seem like you have one in your sump).
A Deep Sand Bed (DSB) is a sand bed that's between 100mm and 150mm deep (can be deeper, but NOT shallower). This facilitates greatly with nitrate reduction. In which case definitely makes the coral pieces/noodles/bio-balls redundant. A DSB is far more effective in nitrate (and actually all nutrient) reduction.

There are SOME people in the world that ONLY use DSB's with algae scrubbers as filters for their marine tanks.

Please let us know how those blennies work out? Are they really algae only eaters? I have seen some in rockpools all along our Indian Ocean coast, and some look like they eat pods, and only some actually eat algae....

Remember - detritus ANYWHERE that's hidden away can and WILL cause nonsens in a marine tank - as it releases phosphates as well as nitrates (phosphates being the major component of nuisance algae's diet)..... So if you have detritus IN or around your rocks, in the corners of your tank, in your sump - you are bound to have problems with nuisance algae.

jaquesb finally!! someone is seeing me!! im only using a dsb on my new system I feel they are absolutley incredible and so under rated

thanx guys

so now u ous say i must spend my weekend redoing my sump?EISH
dsb sounds like the answer.the small skimmer is only used for ozone.

I would always advocate a DSB - in my case I use it BOTH in my tank as well as my sump. If I could - I would have had ANOTHER 2 metre tank PURELY for my DSB and algae scrubber - BUT - at this stage I don't and am forced to have my DSB in my tanl as well..... I believe strongly that it helps with my nutrient reduction - my nitrate levels ARE ALWAYS very close to 0. It is just with phosphates that I struggle with....
BUT that too is getting better! :) I just wish I could easily (and with little effort) re-do my sump - I would have LOVE to be able to do this - BUT, my tank MUST GO ON RUNNING! :)

Lindsay How are things going with your tank?

Back
Top Bottom