Hair algae

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by hiralall, 21 Feb 2010.

1. hiralall

hiralall

Hi guys My tank is slowly getting over run by hair alage. After some reading it seems that there are two methods of solving this problem viz building an algae scrubber or cooking the rocks. i would like your views on which method i should use
    Many Thanx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Those methods sound a bit drastic. Firstly before you do anything see if you can't find out what is causing the GHA. There are several things you can do like let your skimmer skim wet or try to blow of most of the detrius of your rocks with a powerhead. Add chaeto in the sump, put in a few herbivores like turbo snails,hermits,algae blenny,tangs...
    Also how old is your tank?
    What did you do when the tank suddenly started to get GHA?
    What size skimmer are you running?
    Are you dosing any additives?
    If youve tries all of the above and nothing helps I would go for an algae scrubber, it helps permanently and you don'l lose the beneficial bacteria already grown in your live rock.

4. hiralall

hiralall Thread Starter

Hi thanx 4 advice. tank is almost a year old n started getting algae after i added some LR that i bought. m running TS4 skimmer n not adding any additives

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hiralall - please post your water parameters for us? The exact measurements?

Also - where are the GHA? It is quite possible that the GHA is being fed by nutrients/phosphates/nitrates being leached from detritus hiding in either your substrate, or in your life rock....

In the case of substrate - "Stir" the top +-1cm of your substrate that the detritus is being released..... and in the case of your life rock - the best would be to "cook" your live rock.

"Cooking" live rock, means putting the live rock in a container with salt water, with only a power-head to move the water - for between 6 to 8 weeks (in the dark preferably)...... This will ensure that the detritus is being worked out by the pods and the bacteria.... releasing the "food" that feeds the GHA. This will also ensure that all the GHA dies off....

6. crispin

crispin

GHA really is a pain, and ive just had a royal bout with the stuff! I did manage to hammer it rather fast though, although i know where my nutrients are comming from and knowing that makes the battles far easier:)

I did a number of things to clear it off, but two novel and fairly effective methods helped above the others.

1 i let the algae grow long and wavey, full length as such. Then i took those rocks out the water for a little while ( around a minute) i found that the strands laydown flat over themselves without the water support. I then placed that rock back in tank with a fairly low to medium flow. The strands didnt stand up again and smothered light from its own base. I then blew a power head over the dying algae and removed it with a net. faster and easier than manual removal althogh i would suggest blasting it with a powerhead in a bucket instead of using a net.

the second method involved a second very small tank. I have a 30l nano and i took some very badly affected rocks into that which has a very low nutrient count. the LR starved itself very fast and effectly cleared itself.

iwould also look at the phosphate issue you have. figure out what is feeding the GHA, and run phosphate remover. Skim wet and build that scrubber. :)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You are running a big skimmer. How big is your tank.

And if tank is year old, I think you had a gradual increase in phosphate and nitrate readings which eventually got you down this path. I reckon your problem is inside your live rock, built up over time. Well when I started, I took over my brothers tank. And that was in this state.

I moved the rocks to a smaller tank (90L) with own sump.
    Then I did 4 things. Added a TS2 skimmer (overkill on 90L). Added a good size DSB. Added a Cheato ball. And added an algae scrubber. After 3 weeks I saw my readings came down. Then every week better and better, until eventually after about 2 months my nitrate was zero and another month the PO4 was zero. I cannot point to one item that helped, but all 4 together did it.

At one stage you could see fuzzy algae type things hanging under the rock. That was fuelled by the PO4 leaching out of the rock.

So the question is, what is your PO4 and NO3 readings?

8. hiralall

hiralall Thread Starter

hi guys thanks 4 advice. Will take reading tonight n post. Dont hav a PO4 kit yet going 2 buy nxt month. Algae seems to concentrate where the internal pumps are situated.

9. hiralall

hiralall Thread Starter

hi guys just one quest. If i am building a ATS outside must i still provide lighting or will sunlight suffice

10. Sentari

Sentari

Sunlight will be your best option. Otherwise high power compacts will work well.

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

by the way dont just buy any liverock and stick it in your tank. if it comes from a tank that has not been maintained it will contain all the nutrients from that tank that will leach out into your tank

Recent Posts