hair algae

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by VICKY001, 18 Jun 2009.

1. VICKY001

VICKY001

hi guys,what are the best ways to get rid of hair algae ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boendoe

Boendoe

First find out what's the problem, please provide your parameters and some pic's of your sump?

How old is your system and some general specs like lighting, water movement and amount of live stock?

4. inflames

inflames

Hi Vicky,

Up your Alkalinity (dKH) over a few days and then also raise your Alk to about 12. This can be done using Bicarb of soda. Try a teaspoon a day in your sump and monitor it closely. Must be raised slowly in both cases. Maintaining your ALK at 12 is ok for your corals but not for extended periods of time. Rather try and maintain it at about 9, but the increase to 12 should help. I would also recommend getting a phosphate remover (like pirugen). just pop some in a stocking in your sump and it will absorb phosphates for 6 months or so!

If you can eleminate what the hair algae feeds on it will die off!

How big is your system in litres?

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Vicky - this is from a response to a query I had on my tank's thread:
    Nico - this is what I had to do to combat BOTH the green hair algae, as well as the bryopsis algae:
    1) reduce the feeding of the fish in my reef tank: I now only feed the fish ONCE a day - flake fish food, and/or pellets.... I have reduced the frozen fish food to once a week - only on weekends
    2) I have bought a skimmer that's external, as well as rated for DOUBLE my tank's water volume!
    3) I have gotten used to a regime where I am cleaning the live rock inside my display tank, using a turkey baster, two to three times a week
    4) I clean the top 1 to 1.5 cm of my DSB inside my DT, two to three times a week...
    5) I have a decent amount of chaetomorpha growing in my tank's sump
    6) I have about 60kg's of live rock in my tank's sump (which I have removed from my display tank)
    7) I have Seachem PhosGuard running 24/7... in a reactor....
    8) My skimmer removes about 25 litres of water every 5 days or so - which I have to replace with fresh salt water (from the 2 Ocean Public aquarium).....

I also "cooked" my live rock, by placing them in a dark area, in salt water, with ONLY a power head moving the water around.... I such a way, the hidden detritus within the live rock was removed..........

This was how I BEAT GHA!

I also dosed a huge amount of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) - which raised the magnesium in my tank's water - which managed to kill off the bryopsis in my tank.....

6. VICKY001

VICKY001 Thread Starter

Thanks i will give the bi carb a shot.My 2 mh burns for about 4 hrs daily should i reduce the time.My tank is 1.8m and has about 800 litres of water.The algae is growing rapidly on the back glass and on a few rocks.

7. Broder

Broder Mudshark

There aren't any quick fixes for algae. You have to determine where the nutrients that are feeding the aglae are coming from. Is it from detritus buildup? Is it from overfeeding? Is it from overstocking? Are you doing adequate waterchanges?

To start, you'll need to measure your nitrate(NO3) and phosphate(PO4) levels in your tank. Your LFS will be able to sell you test kits. I like Salifert. Make sure that your PO4 kit measures in increments of 0,01ppm and not just 0.1ppm. Your photoperiod is short and not relevant. If there is no food for the algae then it will not grow!

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Vicky - do you have any corals or anemone's in your tank? If you do have, then NO. Don't reduce your lighting to anything less than 4 hours.....

If you don't have corals or anemone's - then by all means - you can reduce this to 2 hours for a while.....

Perhaps - try using a loose powerhead - and blow water on the areas where the GHA is growing.... you should see the detritus going into the water column....

9. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

First off how old is the system?
    Secondly it is very difficult to offer any advice if water parameters are not given, any advice given without all the facts are purely shots in the dark it may work it may not. If you raise the alk but have a source of nitrate or phosphate the problem will return.
    Please remember that algae is caused by an excess of nutrient in the water column, you will have to find the source of the nutrient to control the algae.

10. VICKY001

VICKY001 Thread Starter

Thanks, Guys for all that amazing info, i now have an idea of what to do.

11. inflames

inflames

Hi Vicky,

What fish do you have in the tank?

12. VICKY001

VICKY001 Thread Starter

I have 6x chromis,2 x common clowns,2 x banggai cardinals, 1 regal tang,1 zebra soma tang,1 twinspot wrasse,1 jaw fish,1 cleaner wrasse,1 boxer shrimp and 1 wrasse that's brown with black spots that i have no idea what his called.

13. inflames

inflames

I would suggest (depending if your tank is big enough and stocking levels) getting a lawnmower blenny. I have 1 and he reallly helps to keep algae away...he is constantly muching away. I also heard that bristle tooth tangs like algae. I have a brown tang (scopa tang) and a yellow sailfin tang. They are also great consumers of algae...although it was recomended for me to get them to get rid of algae...didn't really work though, but now that my algae is under control they definatly help keep it there!

Recent Posts