Hair algae everywhere

Yes you can. Running in a reactor will yield better results. I do carbon dosing (vinegar) via a dosing unit and run phosphate remover (ATI) in a reactor. I have had great results. I also run activated carbon but in bags in the sump.

Your tank is also very new. If the algae is only on your rocks they may be leacing some nasties fueling the growth. It may take time to purge. I would in any event make use of exporting nutrients like your cheato or carbon dosing as well as phosphate remover. A proper skimmer is also key.
The cheato must have proper light and should gently tumble.

However, also check you do not overfeed and that the R.O water has zero TDS.

Remove as much of the algae manually as you can in the interim.

Vinegar dosing and phosphate remover with a strong skimmer and zero TDS R.O water and no algae problems. My tank is however mature with stable water parameters:

20160918_194131.jpg

I feel you have a newish tank and maybe needs to still run its course as some tanks can take a bit longer to finish it's cycle, especially seeing that you have added 8 fish to a new setup which in turn can cause a mini cycle.

I see nobody suggested orca bio cubes. They help with to reduce nitrates which in turn will reduce phosphates. Plus you don't need a reactor. Another option is Seachem Matrix Cubes to help reduce nutrients. Another option is also NoPox. At the end you need to find out why you have high nutrients in your tank. Overfeeding is usually the main culprit, couple that with longer lighting periods and boom you have a lot of algae. If you are using MH or T5 lighting the globes might need to be changed (that is if they are not new). Flow is another big factor which can lead to algae breakouts. Also if you are using tap water instead of RO water it can also lead to uncontrollable algae issues. As I said find out why you have high nutrients.

Ok over feeding guilty long and the tap water but I'm doing my water change wit ro water I kno the tank is new I just wana wat should I do to combat the algae and is it a long term thing

Last edited:
Long Spine Urchins are the best eaters of the hair algae, and unbelievably gentle and maneuverable and hardy.

No It Won't. It all depends on Ballancing and your Bio Load!!

If you do carbon dosing properly there will be no nutrients to keep the macro alive. That is the whole idea of carbon dosing, to eliminate nutrients that fuel algae growth and macro is still an algae.

Going the natural route is a slower option but yields great reults. As @red pepper mentioned long spine urchins are great, tuxedo urchins also work well, but the biggest destroyer of gha in my system is my yellow tang.

If you do carbon dosing properly there will be no nutrients to keep the macro alive. That is the whole idea of carbon dosing, to eliminate nutrients that fuel algae growth and macro is still an algae.

Yip! I Know. But you Said you Can not Run Both. Where as you can run both! In a Heavy stocked tank you can run Macro and Dose Carbon.

Yip! I Know. But you Said you Can not Run Both. Where as you can run both! In a Heavy stocked tank you can run Macro and Dose Carbon.
You still do not get it. If your carbon dosing is done correctly your macro will die.

You still do not get it. If your carbon dosing is done correctly your macro will die.

@ExpressReef doses VSV, chaeto ball and caulerpa in the same system, macro algae still ok. Nothing dead yet.

My daughter uses bio-cubes, nitrate and phosphate undetectable on her test kits. Her chaeto ball is still alive, its not really growing as there's no nutrients, buts it's not dead...

Back
Top Bottom