Haffys TL550

Reaction score
Hi

So it seems this will be my next tank.

Buying a 2nd hand one, deal should be done in a day or two, will upload pics then.

A couple of questions in the interim...

The tank is running but most of the livestock has either been sold or died. Its currently got a huge cyno outbreak and minimal (from what I noticed) live rock.

Will the water change cos of draining old water for transport take care of most of the cyno?

If I want to add more live rock, I'm guessing I should do so now. Do I have to wait for the tank to go full cycle?

Also bearing in mind there is some surviving coral, would adding more live rock and the subsequent new live rock effect be detrimental to the existing coral?

How bad is the cyano outbreak? Is it covering the floor, rock and coral?

If you can get live rock from an established tank the cycle should not be too long. Try and siphon out all the cyano and do a big water change with the move. What lights are on the nano? The standard Boyu lights? And what is in the back compartments?

If you can get live rock from an established tank the cycle should not be too long. Try and siphon out all the cyano and do a big water change with the move. What lights are on the nano? The standard Boyu lights? And what is in the back compartments?
Standard lights. Will know about back compartment when I collect it but think its all standard at the back

Cool, make sure to clean the back compartment completely, lots of detritus can get trapped in there. Also remove any sponges or other filter media that might be in there, will just trap detritus and cause nitrates.

Cool, make sure to clean the back compartment completely, lots of detritus can get trapped in there. Also remove any sponges or other filter media that might be in there, will just trap detritus and cause nitrates.
Thanks. Will empty the back totally

IMG_20170825_221937.jpg

Finally picked it up today. Owner had emptied most of the water and just had a circulation pump running for the liverock.

Live rock and whatever little coral were remaining is currently in a container with 2 pumps.

Substrate was sand. I'm not a fan. I removed all of it. Will add in argonite.

The rear chambers were standard.
1 sponge
2 skimmer
3 ceramic bags and bio balls
4 return pump
I've emptied them and will do a full clean tomorrow. Smells like the harbour after the tide has gone out. :biggrin:

Anyone have black substrate? Can't decide on colour

I won't go with black, although that is probably up to personal preference. Never seen a tank with black substrate that I liked, always look unnatural in terms of what I see on snorkel/scuba.

Anyone have black substrate? Can't decide on colour

I have seen some spectacular tanks with black sand. Hawaii, New Zealand and Indonesia have black beaches. Never scuba dived there as I only do some snorkeling. Google a bit and then decide if it is the look for you.

Last edited:
Currently its a price point factor

2nd hand aragonite, half the price of new pink/white

I think I'll give the black a try. Won't know how it looks until I try it

Back
Top Bottom