Had a nice title but......TL450 happened

Discussion in 'New Members' started by SilverWolf, 29 Mar 2014.

1. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Hello All,

Just a quick intro....:yeahdude:

I started in 2010 with a tropical tank, had a few mollies which bred to fast.

Then upgraded to more excotics as mollies tend to have my wife fishing @ 4:00 in the morning for millions of fry.

Had some emporer tetras, coolie loaches, tiger barbs and several other niceties.

Upgraded from that to Cichlids, had some nice speciments until i added a green terror..... :nono:Big no no. In 24 hours everything was dead!!!!

Did the whole planted tank from there with a few tetras. Sold off the tank and dipped my fingers into marine.

The story so far......

I started with a 25 liter tank, just had a purigen bag and ceramic rings in the hood filter, worked a charm, upgraded the lights to include leds. 2 clowns, cleaner shrimp, blood red fire shrimp, two hermits and cleaner shrimp.

Then in 2013 upgrade to 35 liters, carried everything over, added another bag of purigen, added matrix, from there i only did a water change ever 2 weeks as everything was extremely stable in the tank.

Then I got myself a TL450:yeahdude:

Its also when the poop hit the fan!!!!:eek:

I transferred everything over, And everything was fine..... or so i thought.

My water parameters is perfect and stable.

However, i am suffering with an heat issue. Also my skimmer is totaly useless.

I am working on possible solutions, i have removed the buyo heater and put my old one in and leave the feeding lid open, it has seemed to drop the temps a bit, but i am a bit concerned about the fluctuation still, i lost my cleaner shrimp beacause of this as i tried bringing down the temps with RO Ice thrown into the return pump partition. I think this brought the temps down to rapidly and shocked my poor cleaner and now my first ever tank mate has passed, luckily my Blood fire shrimp didn't seem to be affected and also all the other tank mates seem fine.

This afternoon when i get home, i am going to reshuffle the partitions so i can see if this would solve the over airation i currently have in my tank.
    Also see if i can't get the skimmer to function better.

Any sugestions would be appreciated.

I also want to add a third bag of purigen. I know it seems overkill as one bag is rated for 400liters, it however is a product i believe in and has never failed me, imho you can never have too much purigen, i am also going to add more matrix and want anything else i should add, i dont really want to remove all the black sponge in the first compartment, but want to reduce it drasticaly. Should i leave in the Uv light or remove it? i believe this should also help this standard skimmer work a bit better by removing the black sponge. should i just add those white filter floss sheets instead.

Pics of my tanks so far to follow soon....:1:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dian6430

Dian6430

Only way to deal with heat in those tanks are to add fans even if you remove the whole lid and add a led unit you will still need fans. Luckily the winter is fast approaching. The skimmer is a problem yes i know people get tunze, hydor or i think there is a dymax one as well.

4. Dian6430

Dian6430

Also welcome to the forum and waiting for those pics

5. SilverWolf

SilverWolf Thread Starter

My Thoughts exactly after reading up on this.:thumbup:

I will quickly go to Communica and see if i cant get some of those little fans. maybe 3 to put inline on one side and 3 on the other to create a draft over the water surface.

On the skimmer side, i am going to have to use this useless one until the pocket releases some funds for a Pappa Beer. :yeahdude:

6. Dian6430

Dian6430

Lol i know the feeling bud. 6 fans will be an overkill. Ill put in 3 that blows across the water. Just remember that this will increase your evaparation so top up water will increase.

7. Dian6430

Dian6430

I hope that you can do wiring as those fans doesnt come with plugs etc and you need a transformers etc. Or that what i needed to do with mine good luck

8. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Sounds like a fun journey you had. Sorry for the losses. Just add two fans to the feeding hatch. One blowing in and one blowing out. Your heat issue will be solved. Those pc lights do get quite warm. I also love purigen. Instead of adding another bag of purigen, add a bag of phosguard. Love that combo. Im not a big fan of the black sponge. Chuck it and add filter floss which you can change or rinse twice a week. The boyu skimmers are not the greatest unfortunately but they not all bad. Just tune it well, takes a bit of time.but its possible.

Remember that only bad things happen fast. Whenever you want to cool something, warm something, raise or drop parameters etc etc. Do it slowly. Please post us some pics.

And welcome to masa

9. SilverWolf

Ok, So here are my pics, from my first marine to the current setup.....
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SilverWolf

Just an Update......

Shuffled some live rock.

Added a fan on top, down to 9v for noise.

Will make it look neater this week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got the Skimmer sorted 90%. Lift the cup a bit and tuned town the bubble valve.

Everything in the tank seems happy now and i have added some Zoa frags. hope they grow quickly, any tips would help.

I have my eyes on some frogspawn, if anyone knows where i can get at a reasonable price.

i Also AptasiaX'd my tank and it has seemed to work.

11. Brendan6

Brendan6

Hey there. Cool tank mate.

Firstly, this forum has Loads of guys with boyu's that are extremely helpful.

Secondly, read some of the boyu tank threads, all the answers to every questions will have been written up. Loads of these tanks have been around.

Thirdly, you will get some amazing inspiration from these guys. There are some truly awesome aquascapes out there.

Forth, LED's are the way to go with these tanks, I do not know if the TL450 has a standard LED unit but you should check it out.

Fifth, do not bother with skimmers that might fit in the back compartments...get a sump! You can drill or try the under rated upflow sump setup.

Sixth, have tons of fun!

12. zgg01

zgg01

to be honest i recently added the boyu wg-308 skimmer to my tank ... at first it took a bit of tweaking to make it work but now its doing a hell of a job its pulling all kinds of shit and for its price i would recommend it... i have a 10gallon tank

the only drawback is that its a bit loud for me specially that i have my tank in my room

HAPPY REEFING:yeahdude:

Recent Posts