Gyre Flow

From what i understand it does not only have to be on the floor! It must just allow the direction of the flow of the tank to reach maximum velocity for a select period and then change?

Jake said you can place your flow pumps on the surface and because of water's physical properties the water closer to the substrate will also have substantial movement.

The divider do not need to be on the bottom. It can be at the back as well, sucking in at the sides, blowing out he other side, alternating.

Or a double closed loop system that alternates. Or varies in power setting.

Simplest, easiest is controllable powerheads. Like Vortech MP40, on long pulse mode in anti-sync setup. Or any other pumps, that can do a similar function. Set the pumps facing each other, fairly high but so that they do not pull in air. Towards the back of the tank. So when one pump runs at high power it creates a circular movement of water in your display. Vortech keep the opposing pump at idle to keep fish and things out. Later the pumps switch over, and the flow gets reversed. To be able to get that right you need to use a long pulse, 5 minutes or more.

I set my Vortech up for a 10minute interval. Feeding provides me a good indication of the actual flow received. Food goes round and around. When feeding coral food it will be a lot better as there is a much better distribution of food. and it stays in suspension longer.

Wish I had the money to put another 2 Vortech pumps in the front corners, so that front right and left back works together, and front left and right back. That would increase the flow rate a lot. But most likely would look like a teacup being stirred, maybe too much. But that would give me the option to run the pumps at a lower power setting and still achieve the same result.

Anyway, so far so good, will make my final decision after it run in gyre setup for a week.

nice tank, and it shows the gyre effect.

Those are MP40's. That would not be more than R40 big ones

There are two types of gyre flows. Horizontal and vertical. The last vid demonstrates the latter. I have a horizontal ( spins in a circular motion standing in front of the tank) gyre flow for a few weeks and the corals are loving it!!! I am getting much better growth patterns.

I have the pumps at the top (tunze) it creates massive accelerated flow at the bottom!!

following the hype around this concept (although it has been around for ages we are only just rediscovering it now). Id like to share some success.

I have a purple acro i have been struggling with for 1 year. it has not really grown much and always looked under colored.

Changing nothing in my tank beside the flow pattern to fall in line with the gyre theory. I have see growth spurts from the coral.
I snapped this this morning be for work. Notice the very elongated new growth on the right. and the general coral color has become a rich dark purple.
798209_10151513944461595_1442807770_o.jpg

Last edited:
For me looking at this idea for flow seems like over complicating something that lets be honest, well placed wave pumps can create with the right timing as @RiaanP pointed out!
Is the reason to do this cost saving?, a different idea to hide pumps?
I can't see the benefit of it:blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brent it works like stirring a tee cup. The flow creates a wall of water/flow that hits the coral. We want flow at the coral not in the middle of the tank where the fish are swimming.

Brent it works like stirring a tee cup. The flow creates a wall of water/flow that hits the coral. We want flow at the coral not in the middle of the tank where the fish are swimming.
Sure Nemo, get the idea of it, but would you design this for a DT or just a frag tank?
Basically would a flow pump that is aimed slightly at the surface that is allowing gas exchange and breaking a direct flow into a more "wider" flow not create the same thing?
Not busting your chops, just questions:)

My opinion is that the gyre flow tank as in the setup done at the expo, with the glass shelf, will be great for a frag tank setup. Detritus simply do not have place to settle. The coral frags get nice strong flow. And it should be easy to turn the frags 180 degrees once a week. Alternative would be two flow pumps at opposite sides of the tank on a controller.

Basically would a flow pump that is aimed slightly at the surface that is allowing gas exchange and breaking a direct flow into a more "wider" flow not create the same thing?

That is exactly what the gyre flow principal is about striped down to its simplest form.

Using this principal you can make sure your you get maximum efficency from your pumps.

Pity tunze does not have a long pulse mode... :dft004:

Back
Top Bottom