Guru Wannabe

Reaction score
Thanks Crispin
Yes am new to the site and only joined yesterday.
I have a 275l tanl with a 150MH light and have really only kept fish for the last 4 years.I have purchased a star polyp and two pin cushions from LPS which i have sitting on some bio rock. I have a tiny Jebo skimmer and no sump at all. I am chatting to a guy at my LFS (mike) and says he would get me going with the sump and some drilling of holes. Oh yes i have a clown wrasse and a local wrasse (thanks Shane) as well as two damsels. Sorry, you are right, i should introduce myself under the new members section with this info. I just wanna make sure about the DSB i am having installed and would like fellow reefers advice on the best "sand" to use in it.
I am also on the lookout for a TS1 skimmer (hint hint) :) for my setup.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi, we moved you to the new member section to ensure you get the best advice.

Welcome to MASA :)

Reaction score
hello again Guru:)

you see how helpful moderators are in here....just be careful they can even change your sig :)

shot mike:)

Guru how long have you had your tank running for? quite a few fish in there?:)

do you have any test kits and if so what are your perameters like?

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks Crispin
I have had this tank running for about 4 years now.
I have a PH and Alkalinty test kit.
PH 8.2 and Alk i just can't remeber (will test tonight and update)
I have a very course crushed coral substrate and have been advised
to rectify this. Had a few dissasters in the past and hoping to minimise this
in the future. Skimmer works to a degree then seems to stop IMO not enough bubbles.
It is a hang on Jebo and will rctify with a TS1 when sump installed.
I have hade my LFS guy advise me that he can drill on existing setup but i am not
sure if all my livestock will need to be removed and put in temporary accomodation while this takes place.
Thanks fo advice in advance and Terry be my name.

Reaction score
hello terry:)
well it sounds like there are a few changes that need to be made and when you are drilling the tank perhaps getting new and better substrate in would be a good time to do so. A Ts1 is said to be a very good skimmer and will make a huge difference, as would the propper substrate:)

whats really nice to hear is that the changes you make will really improve your water quality which has a direct impact on the ease with which you keep marine things and thus your enjoyment. It does sond to me that you will need to temporaly re home LS while you do the changes, so be prepared with everything (like the substrate, skimmer etc) and then rehome them:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone:thumbup:

Crispin i agree fully with what you are saying and have been able to secure a TS1. Arriving next week. Just the sump to be built and drilling to be done.
I will update my progress.
Thanks again to everyone for advice and all your input.
Keep it up.

Reaction score
thats really good news terry. a sump and a decent skimmer and the correct substrate really will make an amazing difference for you:) keep us updated ok :)

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA Terry, sounds like you're sorted for now and on the right track - good luck with your changes - it will only benefit your livestock. And the cheapest best sand you can use for a DSB is Reggies/Toys R Us play sand. Make the DSB 150mm deep.
Your tank might go into a small cycle with the new sump and DSB added, so find a good home for your livestock in the meantime ;)