Guide to power failures

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jclaas, 26 Jul 2013.

1. jclaas

jclaas

Hi

This is my thread for the research in power failures

Scene:
    AREA DOES NOT EXPERIENCE MANY POWER FAILURES.
    AREA HAS EXPERIENCED 1 - 2 DAY, MAINTENACE POWER OUTAGE IN PAST.

1. Please list the minium equipment required to maintain a healthy tank during a power failure
    2. Please advize on a minmum/good time for backup power sytem

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Battery Air Pump...:blush:[​IMG]

4. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

most important piece of equipment for short term power loss 6 hours of less

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Yes..with my small Tank and only 2 Fish, that Battery Pump can go forever..depending on enough spare batteries...:p..the only downside is that if you'r in the middle of Winter, you start to "panic" as the Temp drops..hence we need a little more than just a Battery Air Pump..in the long run...just wish there was a "Battery operated Portable Heater..;)

6. 3dd

3dd

Our power wen't off for 48+ hours a while ago, and it was terrible.

For a short term power outage battery powered airpumps are crucial, after more than 6 hours, and depending on the size of your tank(the bigger the system the slower it looses heat) temp starts becoming a problem.

Wrapping the tank in blankets will then ensure the temp drops slower.

Next thing will be that the temp still keeps dropping, I found boiling 2l coke bottles of water and placing the whole bottle in the tank then kept the temp up during the coldest parts of the night. quit a pain though as it takes ages to boil over a gas stove.

On the last day we ended up buying a generator.

I had two tanks running, one nano as QT for new fish and my main display, after the 2 days the main tank had no fatalities, might be because it's really stocked low. The QT tank was a different story, all 5 fish in their died over the next 2 days after the elec came back up.

I attribute this too the fact that the nano(100L) tank had allot more fluctuations in temp while the elec was off; it's temp also dropped too below 18, where the display was above 20

My advise would be too plan for the worse, we invest so much into our tanks that it just makes sense to plan these situations before hand.

I now have 3 battery power air pumps(Luckily had these before our power failure), lots of spare batteries to power them. Battery backup for my return pump and flow inside tank (For the day your not at home when the power dies), and then a generator for when it's really a problem.

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

i had a 72 hour power outage, not fun

8. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

Anyone know if it is possible to get an auto switch-on generator to run a 4footer?

9. Wizard$

Wizard$

I see Ellies is marketing solar panels, with inverter + battery, various sizes, from about R5k to R7k. If I recall 700W to 1600W - Builders Warehouse. I would prefer this to a generator.

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Yes, called an ATS

11. dallasg

Yes we make those :)

12. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

@dallasg, any idea what's the prices on a ATS?

Sorry in your previous post 'we' referes to? And what are your prices on those? Any details?

Thanx

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. dallasg

I am not a sponsor so to keep the peace you can pm me, or everything is at builders warehouse green energy stands

14. jclaas

jclaas Thread Starter

Recent 17 hour power failure caused my 3 foot tank temp to drop under 20 at about 7pm the evening. Black clownfish were showing signs of pale colouring. I immediately went into a panic. I then did a 20% water change with sea water which i boiled on the fire to about 40 degrees. I was able to keep temp in safe zone. Luckily power came on 10 pm. No loss :). I am probably also going the Ellies inverter and battery route.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2013
  15. dallasg

hehe thats me :)
    go to the Ellies trade counter there in EL, they should have some

16. jclaas

jclaas Thread Starter

:thumbup: thanks yes, i have already priced it through a contact:tt2:

17. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

MMM not the best idea i would think better if you used boiling water in bottles in your sump the boiled sea water must have long term issues in regards to killing everything in it.
    The Builders product is great i have my return pumps on an inverter from them and it runs for 7 hours so if im asleep i dont flood the house and my water remains aerated, heating not an issue in that short time on a 2500lt system so in the morning start up the generator and get the heating going.
    The solar panel addition to the back up is great if there is a outage in the day, need to look into this..

18. 3dd

3dd

I've used the boiled 2lt bottles of water in my tank, it kept the temp up above 20, it just took ages too boil them on the gas stove.

Don't you think the salinity going up would be of greater concern than killing whatever is inside the water?

19. pkc

pkc

Get a generator!!
    Mine cost $299 and runs all my gear,plus an lcd tele,a light and the freezer all at once.
    It takes a bit to get the chiller and freezer going but it handles them.
    It is 2.7 KVA and 2000 watts.
    I lost the most amazing combination of life to this years power outage.
    A part from one hybrid of an anthia of a tropical and a semi temperate I had found , I also had a local fish that is believed to be five different fish, but I knew that this fish is one that morphs depending on conditions,predators,foods and its inevitable sex change.
    This change in the eighties took one and a half years to happen in my tank back then to my supprise and that’s the only reason I knew this.
    The book knowledge on this one is wrong, so I collected one as they are very common in only 30 ks of our coast line, so they are very endemic, but I see heaps of them in several areas that we collect in.
    I had it living nicely in one of my tubs and I took it out once a month roughly and took a pic as it morphed all over the place with its colouration to prove the info on these is flawed.
    It lasted just past one year and it was thriving and was very well trained for it’s regular monthly photo in my hand, this was because they are an extremely intelligent fish species and do not stress at all, the power outage killed it as well as other things!
    It was this close to its final morph colouration to black with its blue rim, bugger!!!!
    I saw heaps of them on one of our last months collecting trips, when we went for crayfish, corals and some spearing.
    I wont do it again; it takes at least a year to complete the full morph.
    If you value your aquarium, get a cheap generator; i was a fool to have not had one back then!
    This is the one that I spent so much time on.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumf...ulticolour-dotty-backtransition-as-it-changes

Last edited: 10 Sep 2013
  20. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Just out of intrest, if you throw 2lt bottles filled with water sealed into a fire,burning coal etc. it will boil faster and get piping hot, the bottle may warp a lil but overall it remains in shape, neither will it melt, if u need boiled water in a hurry for anything other than consumption that is, like having a piping hot water bath while camping in the bush perhaps.

21. NO3

NO3

Just a pump to promote waterflow!!! thats IT. So try just run your return pump if you can or connect a 12 v bilge pump to your system!

Recent Posts