Guess what I just preordered

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 26 May 2015.

1. mytank

mytank

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaunn

shaunn

Looks great but a bit pricey for me

4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Naa its pretty much on par with that amount of power. You can go and build it DIY bla bla bla, but its going to end up like DIY LED's. They work but you going to have to deal with the issues yourself....

Here they deal with everything, install everything and have a battery change out service you can sign up to so they take care of it.

Its a packaged solution - its been tested, it works and if something goes wrong its their problem :)

5. shaunn

shaunn

So you are saying if the power has been out for 3 days the will collect the battery and replace with a fully charged one ?

6. shaunn

shaunn

what did was get a 6 kva gen set change over switch cost me 12k including the gen set runs my whole house except for the geyser

Last edited: 26 May 2015
  7. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

No the replacement is for the batteries when they start F@#@#@ out. All batteries start losing charge.

8. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Ya I have a genny to, had it connected to the house's wiring has its own DB board I can isolate every switch etc etc etc and it runs the whole fish house outside.

The problem is at 12am when they play with the power the genny fires up automatically. Its the "most silent" one you can get but its still 65db which I had them measure.

By law thats low but at 12am thats HIGH so the inverters are for those periods as I can limit the timing on the genny feed on the DB board with the computer thingie they put on recently.

I would much rather run on battery than on genny so I will have both...

9. shaunn

shaunn

Ok so lets look @ worst case the transformer blows near your house or cables are stolen again how do get the batteries charged I assume this not your only back up plan ?

Or are you trying to lesson your load on the grid any pay less for consumption ?

10. shaunn

shaunn

my situation is different we live on huge property so we can run the genny late @ night

I have the same set-up all my tanks are are on deep cycle battery backups fro when I am not @ home

The Gen set really works when there is long outage but on the other hand petrol/Diesel is getting expensive

11. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Worst case scenario - Use Genny to charge batteries (like I do for the 2kva inverters now). Not ideal but it works. Not interested in the solar BullSh1t.

EVEN WORSE WORSE case
    - get my handy okie guy dude that works by me, to load it and take it to the in-laws or friends or somewhere with electricity and charge it.

Total blow out of the whole of South Africa - use the Genny to charge it or just run on genny power like I do today, the genny works like a charm runs everything don't have an issue. I keep diesel reserves on my property secure and my handie okie, makes sure he takes care of it so it doesn't separate.

Every month the Genny gets a little service, oil's etc etc etc and every week it runs (even if there is no loadshedding) to keep it healthy.

You can't plan for each eventuality :)

Knowing what I do whilst trying to help our Eskom friends right now we going to go from 3 hrs to 6 schedules.

Medupi Gen 6 will be synced in by Oct, but that will only supply power to allow for partial maintenance then Gen 4 comes in next year Oct easing for 80% maintenance. Then following that it will be online.

I say Oct cause the due date is June but knowing how its going looking at internal project plans its Oct.

12. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

I hear you but this is not a price discussion, I couldn't care less what the cost is. I just want to have hot water to shower, DSTV for the wife, washing machines, fridges etc.
    And the tank. With the volume of water I have its .5 deg on average an hour in temp. Airpumps are cheap, flow is covered by the vortech battery thingies I bought for 24 hours. Lights well its going to be cloudy for the tank for that period.

It's about noise now, and noise for my new born :)

Cost is just a way of life.

So to answer the question its not about getting off the grid, if they could provide me with guaranteed power for R5 a KW (it will get there watch what I am saying) I would still buy it. Right now we sitting at R1.56/kw/hr in my area.

shaunn likes this.
  13. shaunn

shaunn

Thank goodness we have not got a new born

I feel the some ,power is a basic human right and yes I also what a cold beer from the fridge the Biggest factor for the the Genny is the tanks

I cant just sit and watch my fish/corals die because eishkom can keep the lights on

Yes battery air pump ect but I really don't think is going to help if you have 6 tangs,Corals,Sps ect in your tank and you have a running a matured tank you need heat ,flow and lighting for corals

Its hard to keep marine tanks these days because of the load-shedding in fact you need to think of how will you power the tank before you even look at getting one

14. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Yeah I am talking about 2500l in my tank...

Totally agree on planning the power before you buy a tank.

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Dude research the possibility of adding a dummy load to the generator. They tend to strain if there is NO load. I'm busy getting for all our back up systems for our facilities with fire pump stations

shaunn likes this.
  16. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Oh and don't store diesel in drums directly on the ground especially concrete rather put on a wooden shelf to prevent condensation occurring in the drums.

LCornelius likes this.
  17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

:lol::lol: Had to smile on this one. :whistling:

18. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

19. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Recent Posts