GSP OverGrowing Birdsnest

Reaction score
How do I control GSP growth?

Have a look at the picture attached, I think I left my birdsnest to close to the GSP and this morning I notice that the GSP was growing up the stem of the birdsnest. and therefore killing it..

What do I do? as you know birdsnest is quite brittle so I do not want to do anything harsh to the stem of the coral.

I guess I will wake up one day and the whole SPS will be overgrown with this GSP

299497f20cc9acc5.jpg

PS : How do I go about editing the subject line? Its supposed to birdsneSt not birdsneXt

Reaction score
what is that?
cats paw coral or what?

yip like shaun said....remove it with a knife

Reaction score
ha u have the weed. and some people cant get it to grow. I would love to have a FO just with different colour GSP's covering the rocks

Reaction score
You could also place a large shell over the area you wish to die back. Once it attaches to the shell you can remove the shell which would more than likely remove a big sheet with it.

Funny how some tanks this stuff grows like weeds and others battle to keep it alive

Reaction score
I bought it by Midasblenny as a green birdsnest (Seriatopora caliendrum ) in Nov, could it be that due to the fact that I took the picture with my phone that the picture is crappy? Well I think Its my phone quality as it is much more greener in real life as it has quite nice tips as well. its definatly not a soft coral

Thanks.. I will attempt and cut it off with a blade...

Hey those stuff (GSP) is like weeds in my tank and I really think they do not deserve to be called corals (lol), I had a small rock about a year ago with it on.. Now these things are EVERYWHERE

Reaction score
My GSP's grow like mad as well, the brown sends out a type of runner which covers everything.

When it starts encroaching something, I simply burn it back! What I do is the same as what I do to my aptasia. I nuke it with kalk.

I take a teaspoon of kalk and mix it with about 5ml of tank water. I then turn off all the pumps and, using a syringe, apply it to the offending GSP. Leave it for about 20 mins and then switch everything back on.

It's like burning a firebreak, enabling you to prune away at the growth! ;)

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
i had this problem, remove coral prune GSP and replace coral sell offcits...