Urgent help needed growth on clown

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by alec, 10 Oct 2012.

1. alec

alec

Hi everyone,

Both of my clowns has something that look like a fungus. :( I treated them yesterday with Seachem Paraguard by dipping for about 1.5 hours. After the dip I put them back in the tank and this "growth" became stringy like.

This morning I gave them brine shrimp and they were eating fine and looked quite energetic and happy. They don't look sick, its just this fluffy type thing on their gills, mouth and fins.

Please help identify what this is and what I can/ must do to cure them of this.

I also started giving flakes soaked in Seachem Vitality. I hope this will boost them a little..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dillan

Dillan

4. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Lymphocystis. It's a virus so you can't treat it. Fish usually recover by themselves if kept in good conditions and fed well.

5. alec

alec Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Dillan. I had a look at it but still not sure. Great looking tank btw. :thumbup:

I thought this was lymphocystis at first but the guy from the lfs said that is was a fungus. If it was a fungus will it disappear immediately after being treated? Lord_Blackadder, you mentioned that they recover by themselves, will it make a difference if I continue treating as fungus though it is lymphocystis?

Where does it come from, the lymphocystis.

6. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

You could treat for a fungal infection and it won't do any harm. I'm pretty sure it's lymphocystis though. Very common and nearly always on the edges of the fins and gill covers. It's in most LFS tanks and stressed fish with weakened immune systems are vulnerable to it. Certain species (clowns, angels, butterflies) are even more prone. It's only dangerous if it progresses to the point where it severely impairs breathing or swimming.

Keep your water conditions good and feed well (maybe something like Ocean Nutrition lobster eggs and mysis along with good quality flake) and it should disappear in a few weeks. I've had fish with this disease many times before and they've always recovered from it.

Recent Posts