growing sponges

Discussion in 'Other Livestock' started by scubaninja, 7 Feb 2009.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

hey guys, anyone got some sponges for me? haha. my rock beauty has hammered every little sponge i have in the tank and for now is only eating frozen stuff. anyone know if there is a way to farm sponges? and are our local ones good eatin';) am i allowed to harvest sponges locally for growin in my 1.2m?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

You don't have to grow them, P 'n P sell six in a pack in different colours :razz:

4. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

funny guy:) thanks tobes. will try that:) well it seems we have hit our first snag because the rock beauty just launched an air strike on my trumpet coral:( guess there will be one up for sale soon
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. sihaya

sihaya

If it were me... I'd just turn the skimmer off... but it's hard to selectively grow sponges without growing algae and everything else. Hmm... maybe if you had a remote refugium in total darkness... that might work.

6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Yes a remote tank that is kept in total darkness and the you put egg crate in it, something like a bee hive. They do this to make a sponge filter.

7. sihaya

sihaya

Oh right... the egg crate! Thanks, I forgot about that... this is how I "accidently" learned how to grow sponges actually. I was trying to grow macroalgae, but my light died and I ended up in sponge-ville. I'm pretty sure you could use any matrix of surface area... acrylic sheddings too I imagine. Sponges seem a lot less picky about what they'll attach to than do seem a lot of macroalgaes...

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

White hairy sponges grow "Automagically" in the "dark" (cryptic) zones of my tank's sump...... I have hundreds of them in there.....

9. scubaninja

yeah i had a lot too. i was pretty proud of my sponges thinkin the angel would be happy for a while but he cleaned it in a day so that didn't quite work. ok so how about this. i build a refugium and put sheeting to make it dark inside, and have multiple egg crates. and then maybe move a sheet over to the tank every week or so depending on how fast they grow? can i take sponges locally to start it off? it legal? and any idea which sponges would be good to use if my little white ones can't grow fast enough? how fast do they grow?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. scubaninja

turning the skimmer off isn't an option cause of my bio load, but i have another high phosphte tank which could be used. so they would prefer higher nutrient levels, is that correct? what are the optimum conditions?
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. scubaninja

Ok, been thinking about this and i am able to set up a dark tank for sponge growth only. I am thinking a lot of racks of eggcrate(either horizontal or vertical) for the sponges to grow, what kind of flow in the tank is best? i have figured out a rotation of each crate i pull out to feed so that they each have the same time to regenerate, how long does a typical sponge take to grow in optimun conditions? I also remembered seeing somewhere that when sponges die in a system they can really mess up everything, this right? If so i was thinking of making the 'cycle' of crates going in and out for feeding quicker(as in one every two days instead of one a week for example) so the sponges do not have a long time to grow enourmous, rather a lot of smaller ones than the same number of bigger ones. Cause if the angels take a bite out only for example, it could still irritate the sponge into releasing nasties into the water so i would rather it dissapeared in one bite rather than be pissed and foul my water. that way if the angels arent that interested what ever isnt eaten is still intact. Any views on this? And it would act like an algae scrubber in the sense that they are being 'cleaned' off the eggcrate as you would your algae and would then consume more nutrients to regenerate, like trimming chaeto. So it means i'm not exactly wasting the equivalent of algae where int his case the sponges go back into the system as food. so it kind of helps out my water quality(if i have enough sponges-assuming no real fouling of my water) and feeds my angels and keeps them off my corals. Cause today i saw the bicolour following the rock beauty and copying it, and they also seem to be interested in something on the side of my large pin cushion. so i'm hoping this works or i'm gonna end up making this i FOWLR:lol:

12. scubaninja

bump

13. scubaninja

bump again

14. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Are you blind, you seem to be bumping into things.:whistling:

15. scubaninja

funny guy:whistling:

16. Andreas

Andreas

Give the rock beauty back:whistling:

17. scubaninja

not a chance

18. sihaya

sihaya

I would keep the water flow moderate. You want enough flow to keep the water moving, but not too much. Sponges can move water through themselves (i.e. in a way, create their own micro water flow).

19. scubaninja

thank you sihaya, what about if i just used the returns flow? got any idea on what sponges i can use? how fast they grow?

20. sihaya

sihaya

The return flows might be enough. If not, a maxijet should do it. As for the kind of sponges, I'm not sure you'll be able to easily pic and choose. I would just let grow whatever grows...

21. scubaninja

ok and any idea no how long it would take to grow? like a growth rate or somethin?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Recent Posts