Growing Pods In Dsb's

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by shane, 13 May 2009.

1. shane

shane

Hi all,
    What is the easest way to grow pods in the dsb/refrugium area of my sump and how do I know if I have got pods in this filter? Is it advisable to have hermit crabs in this section of the filter? I am also interested in growing zooplankton or how to introduce zooplankton into this filter. I have read that in order to get pods to grow in your dsb/ refrugium is to place some type of media or filter pad in the water column and the pods will attach and grow on this. Should my cheato be submerged on the sand or floating on the water surface, currently my cheato is attached to some egg crate above the baffle and the water from my first chamber flows through it.
    Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

Add some LR to your sump is the best way to get stuff growing in there. You can keep hermit but best to avoid preditor so that other things can grow in the tank.

Chaeto should float.

also if your overflow has a durso it can create another chamber for pods etc to grow.

4. shane

shane Thread Starter

Thanks for the info,
    I am having a problem with bubble algea on the side of the dsb, it seems to be getting worse.Is there anything I can add to improve this?
    Cheers

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Why do you want to remove it ? It is a great biological filter, long as you don't let it get out of hand.

6. shane

shane Thread Starter

Great,
    How will I know if I have any pods or anything like that in the dsb?
    How do I increase my pod count?
    Cheers

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

You will see them.

Macro algae, food and no predators will increase the population.

[​IMG]

8. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

yip they are tiny less than a mm. but if you look hard enough you should see them running around your DSB. also when you do a water change dont pour the new water into the section you want pods etc to grow, they are much more sensitive to temp and salinity changes due to there size.

Introduce good quality live rock and the number of pods etc should increase quickly.

As for the bubble algae, i know its expensive but make sure your phosphates are under control. Personally i dont test the phos in my tank because if there is algae in your tank it will always be zero reading. Rather test your top up water (with a tds meter if you can get one). GET A PHOS REACTOR. siphon your gravel. and the bubble algae will stop on its own.

9. sihaya

sihaya

A little liverock + anything that will provide "micro niches" (i.e. macro algae, eggcrate... anything that makes a lot of little spaces for stuff to live in).

10. shane

shane Thread Starter

Thanks,
    Some great info there,so if I add some inert plastic material in the dsb will the pods grow on or in this. Should I just leave the cheato to float and the pods will grow in there?
    Cheers

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi everyone following this closely as my Mandarin from Furbs must not starve so bring on the info! Where can I get some of this macro algae and cheato? Sorry for jumping on this bandwagon Shane but also interested in increasing pod population for my mandarin hope you dont mind!

Last edited: 13 May 2009
  12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

13. moz

moz

Plastic pot scrubbers are meant to be good for pods, I find that the filter floss between my skimmer and DSB is always crawling with pods whenever I replace it (twice a week)

14. sihaya

sihaya

It actually doesn't matter that the cheato floats. It will grow down and out, not up. And if you don't like it floating, you can always just tied it down.

And yes, any inert plastic (that forms micro niches) should be fine...

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Take a smaller piece of LiveRock from your display but a porous one with lots of cavities, especially one where you do notice some copepod activity. Put that in your sump. The piece of sand covered should not be that big, or else suspend it above the sand. Pretty soon they will migrate to the cheato, or other hiding places. If nothing hunts them, they will swim around freely eventually.
    I got Copepods in my skimmer, the neck part of the TS2.
    Also they walk around sometimes on my scrubber.

16. shane

shane Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys,
    No problem Chikaboo, I am thinking of trying a pot scourer or maybe a porous piece of live rock.
    Cheers

17. keyaam

keyaam

Ive been trying to grow out pods and since I got some chaeto they have been multiplying like crazy. My chaeto is a maternity ward for pods

18. burt

burt

the same goes for cleopra, sorry for the spelling, the lions lost so that means the sharks has to perform tomorow, to much draughts im seeing pods in my bed

19. Warr7207

Warr7207

WTF - :biglaugh:

Recent Posts