Growing my own food, Ideas Please.

moz

Reaction score
With my new setup, I'm would like to setup a live food system i.e phytoplankton, rotifers, brine shrimp and copepods. Anybody have any ideas or links for the design of a combined system that could feed the tank directly, if mounted above the display? My basic idea is phyto dripping into tank and rotifers, then rotifers to tank and shrimp/pods, and finally shrimp and pods to tank.

been doing some research on this 1 as well, as far as i can tell it a refugium you are wanting 2 build. basically its like a sump/drip filter with a compartment just for reproducing such organisms and some caulerpa. have even seen some mangrove tree's in some.

i think rotifer are a bit more dificult tho, you need to get a live ....... culture , then you add sea water . it goes a lumo green colour.

will keep you posted on my progress, but i still need to get some rotifer myself

have a look on reefcentral.com loads of info and pics there

Last edited by a moderator:
some nice threads here in MASA, search green water and rotifer

Thanks but, phyto and rotifers are not a problem (except maybe sourcing the cultures), what I'd like to do is have one combined system that sits above my tank and feeds phyto, rotifers and pods. I have some ideas, I just need to get a sketch out.

refugium is what your looking for. its a small eco system within an eco system. it allows the pods, brine shrimp ,and other gogo's to multiply without you fish chowing all of them. what some do is interchange LR from fuge to main diplay and back .i imagine a sump could do this nicely aswell

will try find some ways to maximise the use of this eco system within an eco system, i'll test the theory and get back to you.

umm... any luck sourcing cultures?

I already have a refugium planed for above the tank, but I'm looking at setting up a system for phyto, rotifers and pods, and simple refugium will not allow this. The phyto, rotifers and pods have to be kept separate, as say the rotifers get into the phyto culture in a short time the phyto will be decimated. At the moment I'm looking at culturing the phyto separately and dripping it into the rotifers and refugium, once the container with phyto is finished I will just replace it with a new one.

sounds realy cool, you have a working model? or is it still in test phase? would love to get some tips and try a similer system. sounds perfect in theory. just if i may. don't the rotifer multiply quite fast?, in sunlight, so how about a realy slow drip, and then topping up with water. allowing the rotifer to continue as if you where spliting the culture. seems easyer . i have no idee if it would work though

I already have a refugium planed for above the tank, but I'm looking at setting up a system for phyto, rotifers and pods, and simple refugium will not allow this. The phyto, rotifers and pods have to be kept separate, as say the rotifers get into the phyto culture in a short time the phyto will be decimated. At the moment I'm looking at culturing the phyto separately and dripping it into the rotifers and refugium, once the container with phyto is finished I will just replace it with a new one.
phyto go into rotifer? is it not the other way round? you got me a bit confused, so i'm not sure myself but i think phyto feed on rotifer and then other pods and goodies feed on the phyto..... um.. i think:errrr:

I'm afraid my feeders are very much in the planning stage, I am planning a new setup, so along with work, my existing tank and the different aspects I am looking at for my new system (LED Lighting, computer control and feeder) certain aspect get neglected. At the moment I have a test "culture" of brine shrimp going in a inverted 2l coke bottle (feeding yeast). During the weekend bought a couple of rain gauges that i plan on turning into plankton reactors (hopefully this weekend). If you interested check out these links;
Phyto: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/breeder.htm
Rotifers: http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/breeder.htm
Copepod: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/breeder2.htm

I got my brine egg's from the LFS in Walmer, they have them hidden somewhere so just ask. Some of the eggs I've seen on the net mention 90% hatch rates, the stuff I got doesn't even come close.

Maybe I got the last, it was 10ml. Still have to find rotifers and phyto, there are a few places oversea that sell them and I plan on trying to order in the future but I'll have to find out about live cultures and customs.

great links and ideas,the management of these reactors can be labour intensive,full population remove half to feed dilute with new water,then repeat the next day(green water)..check the aquamedic site the have 2 types of reactor,maybe you can diy it all.If you get it right your corals will love you,baby fishies too.

sorry ,also mean't to say most grow in a chain so use to feed what is lower down(i think you need green water for rotifer feeding?)

I got my brine egg's from the LFS in Walmer, they have them hidden somewhere so just ask. Some of the eggs I've seen on the net mention 90% hatch rates, the stuff I got doesn't even come close.

Mozlook at this link as well as the tips, having some good sucsess here

Fry Care (Live Food)

Carl

Back
Top Bottom