Growing my own food, Ideas Please.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by moz, 8 Sep 2008.

1. moz

moz

With my new setup, I'm would like to setup a live food system i.e phytoplankton, rotifers, brine shrimp and copepods. Anybody have any ideas or links for the design of a combined system that could feed the tank directly, if mounted above the display? My basic idea is phyto dripping into tank and rotifers, then rotifers to tank and shrimp/pods, and finally shrimp and pods to tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. geoffrey

geoffrey

no idea, but sounds interesting, tagging along

4. dv8

dv8

been doing some research on this 1 as well, as far as i can tell it a refugium you are wanting 2 build. basically its like a sump/drip filter with a compartment just for reproducing such organisms and some caulerpa. have even seen some mangrove tree's in some.

i think rotifer are a bit more dificult tho, you need to get a live ....... culture , then you add sea water . it goes a lumo green colour.

will keep you posted on my progress, but i still need to get some rotifer myself

have a look on reefcentral.com loads of info and pics there

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Sep 2008
  5. dv8

dv8

some nice threads here in MASA, search green water and rotifer

6. moz

moz Thread Starter

Thanks but, phyto and rotifers are not a problem (except maybe sourcing the cultures), what I'd like to do is have one combined system that sits above my tank and feeds phyto, rotifers and pods. I have some ideas, I just need to get a sketch out.

7. dv8

dv8

refugium is what your looking for. its a small eco system within an eco system. it allows the pods, brine shrimp ,and other gogo's to multiply without you fish chowing all of them. what some do is interchange LR from fuge to main diplay and back .i imagine a sump could do this nicely aswell

will try find some ways to maximise the use of this eco system within an eco system, i'll test the theory and get back to you.

umm... any luck sourcing cultures?

8. moz

moz Thread Starter

I already have a refugium planed for above the tank, but I'm looking at setting up a system for phyto, rotifers and pods, and simple refugium will not allow this. The phyto, rotifers and pods have to be kept separate, as say the rotifers get into the phyto culture in a short time the phyto will be decimated. At the moment I'm looking at culturing the phyto separately and dripping it into the rotifers and refugium, once the container with phyto is finished I will just replace it with a new one.

9. dv8

dv8

sounds realy cool, you have a working model? or is it still in test phase? would love to get some tips and try a similer system. sounds perfect in theory. just if i may. don't the rotifer multiply quite fast?, in sunlight, so how about a realy slow drip, and then topping up with water. allowing the rotifer to continue as if you where spliting the culture. seems easyer . i have no idee if it would work though

10. dv8

dv8

phyto go into rotifer? is it not the other way round? you got me a bit confused, so i'm not sure myself but i think phyto feed on rotifer and then other pods and goodies feed on the phyto..... um.. i think:errrr:

11. moz

moz Thread Starter

I'm afraid my feeders are very much in the planning stage, I am planning a new setup, so along with work, my existing tank and the different aspects I am looking at for my new system (LED Lighting, computer control and feeder) certain aspect get neglected. At the moment I have a test "culture" of brine shrimp going in a inverted 2l coke bottle (feeding yeast). During the weekend bought a couple of rain gauges that i plan on turning into plankton reactors (hopefully this weekend). If you interested check out these links;
    Phyto: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/breeder.htm
    Rotifers: http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/breeder.htm
    Copepod: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/breeder2.htm

12. dv8

dv8

wow, some good reading, thanks for setting me str8. where do you get your brine egg's from, i tried to get some but can't seem to find other than the chemistry sets

13. moz

moz Thread Starter

I got my brine egg's from the LFS in Walmer, they have them hidden somewhere so just ask. Some of the eggs I've seen on the net mention 90% hatch rates, the stuff I got doesn't even come close.

14. dv8

dv8

there by criss? i tried to get not too long ago, they said they not gonna get anymore, its not worth there wile. and no way am i gonna buy a whole tin. i'll ask them if they got again , otherwise i'll get from craft store who aparently have a science cit .

where would we get rotifer or phyto culture from?

15. moz

moz Thread Starter

Maybe I got the last, it was 10ml. Still have to find rotifers and phyto, there are a few places oversea that sell them and I plan on trying to order in the future but I'll have to find out about live cultures and customs.

16. dv8

dv8

hmmm, i'll be going over to scotland on the 17th, will sea what i can find, they have laws about liquids on planes though. so it will have to be a small amount. should be o k though

17. fisheye

fisheye

great links and ideas,the management of these reactors can be labour intensive,full population remove half to feed dilute with new water,then repeat the next day(green water)..check the aquamedic site the have 2 types of reactor,maybe you can diy it all.If you get it right your corals will love you,baby fishies too.

18. fisheye

fisheye

sorry ,also mean't to say most grow in a chain so use to feed what is lower down(i think you need green water for rotifer feeding?)

19. dv8

dv8

yip, i think thats how it works, moz did give a few links to look at, some good reading there

20. dv8

dv8

seems they got some more, i bought some brine yesterday

21. Carl

Carl

Mozlook at this link as well as the tips, having some good sucsess here

Fry Care (Live Food)

Carl

Recent Posts