Growing algae

Reaction score
Mornin' all. Yes this might sound odd, I was wondering how to grow more algae in my DT.
Lawnmower Blenny is eating nori so I'm chuffed about that, but I wondered how to get him more of his "natural" diet in the tank...he seems to have ploughed through what was there already.
Strangely 2 weeks ago he'd have been in algae heaven, but suddenly all my algae disappeared just before I got him and I'd like to make sure he has all the dietary needs he requires.

I assume I need to run my lights for longer? Is there anything else I can do?

Mouse - I would rather suggest trying to get some macro algae that he will eat, AND that you can easily keep control of....

Once you gotten hold of this type of macro algae, then you can start overfeeding (in a controlled fashion), to supply more nutrients to the water - which will "feed" the macro algae, which in turn will feed the lawnmower blenny....

They eat macro, but I wouldn't suggest Chaeto, not great for grazers, need a more fleshy algae

Mouse, you might not see the algae but i'd bet there is some there, compliment his diet with flake and nori, keep an eye on him, most tanks are algae free and the lawnmower blennies i have seen look fat and happy, they are greedy little sods and quickly adapt to other foods.

Omega one has a nice flake for grazers!

Mouse - here's some info I found on WetWebMedia on the algae that lawnmower blenny's eat.

Sara - please let me know if I am overstepping boundaries..... I hope Bob Fenner does not mind.
URL: AlgaeBlensArt

Quoted:
"Foods/Feeding/Nutrition:

These fishes are algae eaters par excellence, but not all algae. The vast majority of their diet in the wild is made up of filamentous green algae species... a bit of red (Rhodohphyte) and brown (Phaeophyte)... they don't eat all types (e.g. not "bubble", Family Valoniaceae), species, and almost entirely ignore Cyanophytes, aka Blue Green Algae... that despite its common name occurs in all colors, and shapes... blue, black, green, red... almost always slimy to the touch. Most types of prepared, meaty foods are ignored, or if taken, with not enough enthusiasm to support these fishes.

Often, with aging of a captive system, there will be a shift in the make-up of micro- and macro-life that predominates... and a valuable lesson for observant aquarists in the loss of fodder for such grazers as these blennies. The very best gauge of such incurring change is a thinning of said fishes... first in the gut area, but spreading to the upper flank musculature. Such changes can occur quickly, in days, and supplemented foods must be made available to prevent loss. Of most use are prepared foods in the form of sinking wafers and pellets that are largely algae-based. Various of these have been shown to be accepted with gusto.

Alternatively, cultured macro-algae, dried people-intended algae like Nori, Kombu... can be tried, and with familiarity are generally accepted as well. For true "die-hards" hoping to entrain natural behavior, "algae rocks" can be cultured elsewhere (as in a lighted sump) and rotated into the main system periodically. "

What about a lower spectrum t5 globe, as use by freshwater tanks to promote plant growth, but in this case algae growth. In the region of 5000K

Back
Top Bottom