Group buy: Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, kalk

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by robvdv, 30 Jun 2011.

1. robvdv

robvdv

I get lab grade or okay-grade (i.e. I've used it before, it's okay) chemical supplements from local companies, Warren Chemicals and Protea Chemicals. They only sell this in +/- 25kg quantities. It costs around R700 for a bag of lab grade Calcium Chloride, less for the other stuff.

I use a lot of additives for my system. I don't mind buying 2 bags instead of one bag, and then stopping by Plastics for Africa on my way home to buy a few 2kg and 5kg plastic tubs for other reefers. Packing and mailing this stuff is a schlep. I don't have much free time, and pouring chemicals and going to the post office isn't my idea of fun.

So, what I'm proposing is that I offer my schlepping services to other reefers at 100% markup on the original. I play open cards (I'll even scan the invoice if you like) and the 100% covers my diesel bill, the schlep and the packing materials. Shipping is extra, regular post office services only.

I have an electronic scale, so I can make fairly accurate measurements. 2kg minimum per chemical, R500 total order minimum (not including shipping), payment upfront, delivery within 2 weeks of payment (more or less).

Does this sound reasonable? I'm not trying to rip anyone off. If you want to go buy it yourself from the companies I've mentioned, please go ahead and do so. Alternatively if you want to tag along on my next purchase, let me know what you need and I'll get it for you.

If there's enough interest I'll post the product data sheet here which will include heavy metal impurities etc. (very low for the lab grade stuff).

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gavster

gavster

Hi Rob I'll tag along for now. Just suggestion so that you can sell more as well as get more interest from the newbs like me. How about listing each chemical, what it does as well as your comparative price per kg to the retailers? Good luck here. I hope it works well for all concerned.

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Hey Rob I like this idea & have been wanting to do the same thing for some time but haven't had a chance to do it yet. Count me in & I could collect no problem.

6. Seabass

Seabass

Hi Rob

You have a pm, I'm in.

Thanks

7. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

8. Jcc

Jcc

I was also thinking of doing the same and already making it in dilution with directions for use. I got the stuff in bulk. That is the calcium and bicarb. Its a great idea and people can safe a lot with diy

9. wukkie

wukkie

Hi rob, any news on the pricing

10. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

I was in a rush to get the additives before the weekend and picked up 150kgs yesterday. I've already sold half (kinda accidentally), which covers the cost of the order.

Sorry, guys. I'll do this again next month or so and post again with a bit more warning.

11. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

Thanks, gavster. I'm not trying to compete with anyone. I just want to cover the cost of my own hobby.

If people are interested, they should Google "Randy's Improved Two Part Formula" as a good starting point.

12. Seabass

Seabass

Shot Rob, keep me on your list for the next order. How about a indication of price per product (what exactly did you order) so that all of us can be better prepared for the next big order.

I think in future that this will take off, great idea and thanks for considering the little guy.

13. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

The cost was really cheap, less than R10 per kg. I sold it for around R25 per kilo. The extra R5 covered the container cost.

14. wukkie

wukkie

Hi rob
    From where did you get the stuff, i have phoning around and some of teh stuff i have been quoted on is between R25 to R35 per Kg.

15. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

16. wukkie

wukkie

Ok, thanks. I think i did give them a call, and their pricing was great, but all the producst where food grade. I was looking at phama grade. Is the food grade stuff good enough for our tanks, I was worried about the other impurities that is contained in the product.

17. Braco

Braco

Tagging along and Definitely interested thx Rob..

18. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

Some are food grade, some are pharma. Randy did a good article some time ago about impurities in Calcium Chloride: Aquarium Chemistry: Purity Of Calcium Chloride — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

The amount of cadmium in Kent calcium was interesting ;)

19. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Protea chemicals are just down the road from me...

Recent Posts