Ground Probe - advice please

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by ascheff, 25 Aug 2014.

1. ascheff

ascheff

I've read the many arguments for and against ground probes on the forum, and have decided that it's something I want. I went and got myself a Vertex Titanium Ground Probe.

Before installing it, I'm trying to understand how it works. From everything I've read so far, the probe needs to be connected to the earth wire (big middle) pin of a three pin plug.

What I don't understand is that the one I got has a two pin plug connected? I've seen photos of others online that have three pin plugs, but the two bottom pins are clearly plastic (?), and only the top middle on works. Mine seems like a normal two pin. This seems wrong.

Does anyone else have the exact same one as mine?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

It needs to be connected to a proper plug so that it can fit into a socket. The grounding wire will only be connected to the earth of the plug
    Problem you have with that plug is that the grounding pin is that middle hole and its almost iompossible to get a european fitting that has place for grounding

4. Mac75

Mac75

I have the same one...got it at a lfs.....I just plugged it in lol...been using it for the past 3 months now with no issues..... :m33: @ascheff did you pay like 300 some odd bux?:m85:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

i think @RiaanP has a good diy thread of this somewhere here..

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yeah, that plug doesn't really help in SA, lol. If you're willing to void the warranty I would cut the plug off and connect the wire to the earth on a normal 3 pin plug, or try find an adaptor somewhere that has a working earth for that type of plug.

7. Mac75

Mac75

hmmm...one of the sponsors should stop selling them for 300 bux then :m85:

8. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone.

Yup, a bit over 300, and I actually feel it was a bit much for what is essentially a piece of wire.

After what @459b said, I thought about cutting the plug, but don't really want to cut something I just paid this much for.

I think it's going back to the store over the weekend, then I'll either look for the type I originally wanted with a ring on the end instead of the plug, or go DIY. I just didn't want to mess around with something that my life might hopefully never depend on. :whistling:

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Don't tell me, tell them!:m86:

10. Mac75

Mac75

and ferro titanium is 6$ per kg.....go figure :m33:

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

ascheff likes this.
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

anyway, the euro / sucko plug in the first pic, do have a ground terminal. Got exposed metal strips in the grooves. But all those female plugs we have in SA on our extension cords etc, never have this ground part. We have a piece of plastic preventing us from using sucko plugs with grounding strips.

And for some stupid reason they are not allowed to be sold in SA either.

I bought a very nice extension cord in Norway a while back on my travels. Got 6 sucko points, all grounded.
    [​IMG]

13. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Thanks for the info @RiaanP.

After reading you DIY write up, I think I'll go with that. Seems simple enough. I was a bit worried about the copper end of the wire and salt water, but it seems as long as the copper is out of the water it should be fine.

Regarding the plug on my store bought probe, when it initially didn't fit into the similarly shaped socket on my multi plug , my first thought was to cut or file down the pieces of plastic, but then realized that they're probably there for a reason.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Even if you do that, the plug will not work. It will not be grounded at all.

15. Jakkie Steenkamp

Jakkie Steenkamp

16. Zandy

Zandy

I had the same grounding probe plugged it in and thought it did it's job...so this is also news for me..lucky for me my life never depended on it either. And yes i also bought it at a sponsor thinking it was a plug and play !!!!:m33:

17. Meg G

Meg G

see the hole in between the the pins that is your earth. N and E are the same thing before your elu.
    your neutral does the return from your life. so if your neutral wire is leaking mv and the tank water is not earh the elu will not trip and you get shock. so if you cut that plug off there will be one wire wich you can conect to a earh on a normal plug. or on any earth that goes to the elu of your house. take a voltage meter and put on ac test, one wire in the tank and another on earth, i use the house outlet socket, there is normaly a screw holding it(earth) test your voltage leak pluck that earth in and see if there still a voltage.

18. Meg G

Meg G

some of them do have the grounding strip, only those from china dont have.

19. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

I've taken the Vertex Ground Probe with euro plug back to the store and have made my own using RiaanP's instruction. It was easy as pie, and at a fraction of the cost. Thanks @RiaanP.

Before installing it I had about 0.1 or 0.2 stray volts, now I have 0. Now I'll just check for an increase in stray volts, with it plugged out, once a week when I do my weekly maintenance.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Great.
    It can safe your life.

Couple of months ago I had a ViaAqua heater that worked for years, suddenly taking in water. It tripped my house power very late at night. Preventing the heater form blowing into pieces. Alternatively, preventing me from getting a real morning wake up jolt of power when I feed the fish their breakfast, while still barefoot and in my pajamas.

Recent Posts