Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Ishtak, 12 Jun 2011.

1. Ishtak

Ishtak

Greetings guys and gals,

My name is Justin and I have MTS :)

I recently inherited a Resun DMS-400. I'm going to use it to learn how to do salt water tanks. Any advice would be appreciated. The tank has a built-in sump that currently has sponge and a heater on chamber 1, ceramics in chamber 2, bio balls in chamber 3 and the return pump in chamber 4. The guy at my LPS said all I need to do is add salt to the water, cycle it for a couple of weeks and I can add fish. He recommended against doing live rock in a tank that small and also said I wouldn't need a Protein Skimmer. It's not that I don't trust them but I'd rather get some added advice from guys in the know :)

I have a few questions.

1) Any advice on the litres per hour the pump should be?

2) One of the globes is gone. Do I need specific lights? I've asked at my LPS and they said I could use normal long life globes from a hardware store.

3) Do I need to put a wve maker in?

Thanks for reading guys!

Justin

Last edited: 12 Jun 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome Justin. First of all dont go back to that shop. Some bogus advice they gave you. Dont use ceramic rings and bio balls they are nitrate factories. In your sump go 1st chamber skimmer, 2nd dsb/refugium 3rd is the return. If you dont use a skimmer then you will be doing lots of water changes. Live rock is very important as it is the heart of your biological flitration. You came to the right place.

With regard to the lights, are you planning a fish only tank or a reef (fish and corals) ?

4. Ishtak

Ishtak Thread Starter

@Treyman thanks for the quick response :)

I've "borrowed" a picture from another website which is the exact aquarium showing the sump setup. How would I go about implementing your suggestions?

[​IMG]

These are the light fittings. Any advice on the globes to use?

[​IMG]

Recent Posts