Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Benjamin, 23 Mar 2010.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the hobby. This is just a short note to say hi to all. If it's okay, I will be looking to tap into your collective wisdom in the near future as I've been experiencing quite a few problems recently with stabilising my reef setup. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to avoid taking down the entire system and starting from scratch. More later.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

masahello

4. Renannchen

Renannchen

5. mnd123

mnd123

welcome welcome

6. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Hi and welcome

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Benjamin. According to the above, I would advise you to read the link below "Starting a marine tank"
    Then you can see if or where you missed something. In order for us to help you, you need to give us more detail on your setup and some pics of the tank and fitration.
    Just remember that bad things happen quickly, so if you need to make changes, do it slowly ;)
    But ask here first :)

8. crispin

crispin

hello Benjamin and welcome to MASA.

great to hear that you have a tank going, and dont worry about battling in the early stages, most tanks do. Atleast here you can post a few pics and show us where you are battling, perhaps we can suggest some changes that will help you and the tank along to an easier relationship :)

what size tank do you have?
    How long have you cycled it?
    Do you have any LR in there?
    Do you have any live stock in there?
    What are your water parameters
    Do you have a skimmer?
    can you give us a list of equipment you have?

try answer those questions so we have a base point we can start helping you with:)

welcome and happy postings

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Benjamin! Great to have you on-board!

It's so sorry that you have not been able to find and join MASA BEFORE you started!

Oh well - that is now done - so please share more info (and preferably some pics too?) with us?

Also - have a read through the URL link in my thread, about "Starting Marine Aquariums".

Don't be shy to ask as much questions as is necessary!

10. Benjamin

Benjamin Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. So, here's my sob story. I set the tank up in June last year, starting off very slowly. I added most of the live rock upfront and let that settle for about a month. The quality was good so didn't experience algae bloom to any significant degree. After the first month, the readings were all very stable so I added to clowns. They settled in well so two weeks later I added snails and hermits. These were followed by a cleaner wrasse and two gobies. After 3 months I decided to go big and added a yellow tang, a sailfin and an anemone for the clowns. The tank settled down incredibly well with only a minor break out of white spot on the tangs. At 5 months I added the lipstick and a powder blue (yep, that's right). All the fish settled well and were eating. The powder blue was alive and well for over a month with no sign of white spot when the temperature spike hit. Funny enough, he was the last one to die. The stress of the oxygen depletion and heat was obviously too much for the system to handle. The next day I bought a chiller but that was too late. I lost all the fish except the two gobies.

The rehabilitation phase involved a 60% water change, cleaning the system and starting the maturation phase from scratch. This time around I've experienced problems with pH stability, ammonia spikes and algae but that's all settled down. I've just invested in my own R/O unit which is now run in so I can control the quality of water going into the system.

Since about middle Feb (6 weeks from clean-up) I've attempted to introduce fish with no luck. They settle in fine in the morning, swimming around and even eating. I generally check on them before the lights go out and in all cases the new entrants seemed fine...until the next morning that is. None of the fish I've added since Feb have made it through the night. What blows my mind though is that the two gobies, brain coral, turbo snails, hermits, limpet and starfish are all okay and thriving yet fish can't make it through the night. The anemone I've added over the weekend is also flourishing, having trebled in size since I've put it in.

HELP NEEDED!

11. FransSny

FransSny

Firstly Welcome . Glad you have the guts to say something is wrong , although I hate to hear that.

Heres my 2C..stop adding LS, obviously something is not lekker, from the bit of info difficult to say. I am going to say the dreaded words...what are your water paramaters ? If unsure bring over some water & I will test or PM me your addy & I can make a plan to go look.

Nennie in that tank (basically new) is a contentious issue at best

12. neo

neo

my 2c, Go with Fran's offer, the older fish got used to something not being right over time, for new fish it's a shock.
    Check your SG, use someone elses test equipment.

13. Benjamin

Benjamin Thread Starter

Thanks Frans. I'm based in Cape Town so unfortunately will not be able to take up your offer. Your point is still valid though. I'll get my water checked by another test kit, especially the SG. For what it's worth the nennie was only added this past weekend so doesn't really explain why the fish have been dying.

Water parameters as at last reading (Sunday) were as follows:
    SG: 1.022
    kH: 10
    Ca: 400
    pH: 8.1(night) - 8.3 (day)
    Phospates, copper, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia all reading zero.

14. FransSny

FransSny

Benjamin I am also in CT !

I would seriously consider a fellow reefer testing for you.....something doesnt add up

15. Benjamin

Benjamin Thread Starter

Sorry Frans, thought you were in Pretoria because fo the Dorry Pets logo attached to you mail! I'll pick up a new SG tester this afternoon and also see if I can get another test kit. Any recommendations on the most accurate kits out there.

16. FransSny

FransSny

Cool Benjamin, no I am Dorry Pets Cape Town.
    SG...use a refractometer. Test Kits my opinion, Tropic Marin = OK, Elos = very good, Salifert = the bomb (expensive)

17. brandonb

brandonb

Welcome

18. lIghty

lIghty

Welcome :wave2:

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Thread Starter

Hi Frans,

Got an electronic SG test kit. It gave the same reading (1.022) which has been pretty stable ever since I've put the tank up.

Last night a friend gave me two tomato clowns which settled in quite nicely. They survived the night, thank goodness, and are eating well. So what did I do differently? This time I left the room lights on dim so that there was some peripheral light to ease their stress. It was suggested to me that the catfish gobies (largely nocturnal) could be stressing the new inhabitants out because they are quite active at night. Same person said to leave some light in the room so as to reduce stress. It was a long shot but seems to have worked or it could just be coincidental given that tomatoes are tough as nails.

20. FransSny

FransSny

cool Benjamin, if calibrated correctly the electronic ones are good.

As for the clowns, yip more or less bulletproof ! Also quite agressive & able to defend themselves. So it might be co incidence , I normally switch off my lights when adding fish...just leave the room light on (I take it this is also what you did)

Catfish goby...sorry havent seen them , maybe called something else in my books. So I cannot comment.

I would still urge you to take it slow until you find the cause of the mysterious fish deaths

What brand of test kits are you using..have you checked expiry dates on them

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi Bejamin - sorry to ask a silly question but how long you acllimatising the new fish for? Remember 1.022 is little low on salt and what about the temp of the water from where the fish came and the temp of your water - about the same or drastically different

Recent Posts