Greeting

Reaction score
hi all,

can anyone help?
I have a 24g nano tank with some corals.
My button poly has been thriving but recently i noticed that the button polyp has not opened at all.
On closer inspection, i noticed some slug like things moving around the polyps.
can anyone advise what i should do?
Will my polyps eventually die?

Hi Shawn, welcome to MASA.

It sounds as though you have a nudibranch infestation, those are the slug like things you can see, there are many different species, but yours are presumably nudi eaters.

WARNING THESE WILL BE POISONOUS, DO NOT TOUCH THEM WITH YOUR BARE HANDS.

Sorry to be so dramatic, but these have made people very sick, the toxin (palytoxin) comes from some species of Zoa, the nudi stores this up and if you squash them, it is possible for you to pick up some of this toxin.

to cure you will need to do a fresh water dip, use a separate container full of R/O heated to tank temp, then remove your zoa rock and place it in the r/o for a couple of minutes, the nudis and hopefully the eggs will fall off.

I believe there is a chemical you can add to the water, i haven't done that but i know a couple of folk on here have, so i will let them advise you.

Hello Shawn! Welcome to MASA! hope you enjoy our company!
Wee-Man has given you the gest of what you could do. Many folk actually use a reasonably strong iodine solution as well, to assist in the ridding of the nudi's. The flatworm you have is most likely a Nudibranch. Is the nudi green in color, with two "shrek-like" "ears" on it's head? Also - are they +-0.5 to 1cm in length?

Welcome shawn, nice to see more Gautengers getting into Marines

Goodluck with the slugs.

Welcome!dont forget to get your ph to 8.0-8.2 before doing the FW dips.
otherwise use tropic marine pro coral cure (i use it) to rid off nudis and flatworms

Welcome Shawn :)

Hey Shawn and welcome, let us know how the dip works out.

Back
Top Bottom