Greeting fellow aqaurists :-)

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Dane, 24 Jan 2010.

1. Dane

Dane

Hi there everyone,

I have been a freshwater fishkeeper for about a year now, with a South American community tank that is a constant source of pleasure :) And have just recently ventured into marine. I always do a vast amount of research online before any move I make with my tanks.

My best mate works at the V&A aquarium, and recently all their clownfish spawned and of course no one wanted to euthanise them! So a pair was going for grabs. I had just set up a second fwater nano tank for some puffers - but i rather rapidly converted it to saltwater. He has been keeping his clowns in a small low tech set up with great success - so I sought to emulate this.

My tank is small! 46x22x22cm :) But the clownies are babies, and once they get a little bigger I will move them to a 70L. The tank cycled for about two weeks, and I use actual seawater - not premix. There is a piece of live rock in, and I just got given two tiny frags of anthelia, and one other soft coral. The soft corals are fully open and seem happy despite my fairly average lighting setup. I DO NOT have a protein skimmer, and am using a powerhead internal filter with a sponge & activated charcoal (I will switch the sponge for coral chips soon).

There are also two tiny clips of marine plant - I think the one is called kerper and the other is like a fine hair algae. There are also two little cushion stars and a tiny snail which looks like a miniature perlemon :)

Using a little 50w set to 22, but my tank seems to hang around 25...

I absolutely love my clownfish, not out of any obscure film reference or association - just because they are such great characters :) As they are like 2nd generation and a little inbred they have unusual patterns... Broken stripes on the ones tail makes it easier to tell them apart! They seem to have settled in very well, and are extremely active! Always zooming around, although I have given them plenty of hidy holes - including a shady terracotta pot.

Thanks in advance for all the assistance I know I will get from this community. TASA members has been extremely accomodating and generous and I am sure MASA will be the same,

Kind Regards
    Dane

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Hi and welcome to the forum
    Posted via Mobile Piece of Sh#t

4. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!!!:thumbup:

5. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

thanks for the welcome :)

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOLME to MASA, Dave! Great to have you on-board mate!

How often do you top-up your tank with freshwater (due to evaporation), and how often do you do a % water change?

Also what do you feed, and how often? (and how much?)

How about some pics of the tank, and inmates?
    (could you please perhaps PM me your mate's name - as I deal with the 2 Oceans Aquarium a lot - and also know quite a few other people who deal with them and do consulting work for them?)?

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

masahello

8. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA. :)

9. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

10. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome Dane

11. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome to MASA dane

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

This was the last post I could read last night after jacquesb - I couldn't get to welcome Dane so here goes - Welcome Dane enjoy your stay here at MASA -

13. brandonb

brandonb

welcometomasa

14. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Wow :) Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

@jacquesb - I'd rather not say who it is, I know that he wouldnt want me to, and I must respect that, Sorry! :-( WRT to my tank I havent established a regular schedule with regards to topups and changes, and am feeding my clownies once a day, only a tiny bit. I always err on the side of less with feedings.

I would appreciate advice wrt to water changes and top ups. For topups I'd ideally use RO water, which I should be able to get from UCT or the aquarium. But does anyone use dechlor'd tap water?

Secondly, I am completely addicted to soft corals. I know this is a bit abrupt - but does anyone in Cape Town have some tiny frags of easy care zooanthids/buttons/xenia etc that I could purchase/have? The shop prices are obscene!! And from what I hear these species propogate very quickly! Maybe a teeny tiny little chip? hehehe. Also does anyone know of a friendly local FS that would let me seed some coral pieces?

Thanks again to everyone for the greets and advice! :) I am positively chuffed to be getting into marine!
    d

15. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Dane - no problems then mate. I have no problems with your protecting someone's identify out of respect.

And YES - you should indeed rather use RO water for top-ups. And NO - it is never a good idea to use tap-water (even if it is dechlorinated) to do your topups with - as it is then that you get a whole range of nasties into your tank, causing a lot of nuisance algae outbreaks in your tank.

Recent Posts