GreenTank

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Dillan, 16 Aug 2012.

1. Dillan

Dillan

Hi I have 450 lt tank water, 300lts tank with a 150lt sump i have about 20kgs live rock a DSB. The tank went green and red very fast about 8 months ago, with just the rock and 2 small flagtails and 2 cleaner shrimp .

There were some small frags from my nano. I do a 50-75 lt water change about once every 2 week with fresh sea water.

The tank has been running for 8 months and the water is clear yet there is red and gree alge every where, some hairy some slime like.

2 months ago it cleared up a bit so i put in a 3 more fish they are health eating and the shrip have growen from 1cm to 5cm the fish are all health yet the slime is still there i clean it and it comes back.
    I have loads of rock lfe like star fish tube worms and other worms with a long white "thingy" that sticks out.

So all fish health and if i spend time the tank looks clean but leave it for 48 hrs and the alge is all over the glass and rock and forming air bubles some times looks like my water is carbonated.:eek:

So i said if the fish are growning and happy how bad can it be so i added some more, there are now 10 fish in it all eating well and the tangs love the greenary but are not winning.

I have 100w normal bulb in my sump box?

I will dis 100lt water change day before and its just as bad i have 100lts standing here waiting to go in , but it does not help???

I have not done a water test for a while.

Any ideas any questions

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

How about giving us some water parameters, like ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates, salinity, pH, etc?

5. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

I am scared to, but will in the morning, but how bad can the parameters be with a 25% water change 2 days ago

6. crispin

crispin

that tank does look like its a headache to keep going, and it really shouldnt be. there is something slightly wrong with the quality of water, either going in, or whats being added to after its in, although id guess the issues are most likley comming from the outside. I see you are using salt mix, do you use a RO system to make RO water and if so how old are the filters?

what sort of filtration do you have in the sump?

have you ever dosed a bacterial source (such as special blend etc) as this could help you alot.

whats your pod life like? and brislte worms?

dont be scared to share test results, they will tell a story and from there we can best advise you.

Marine tanks shouldnt be a headache to keep at all, we can help to get yours to be less work and more enjoyment, it looks like you have some delightful fish in there, it would be good to have them in an algae free tank:)

7. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

Felt bad so went and did tests

PO4 01mg/l
    PH7.5
    Amonia 0.1mg/lt
    NO3 25mg/lt
    NO4 0.1mg/l

those are all the tests i have Interpet easy test.

No i dont mix water i use sea water I am at the coast once a month and bring 200lts back every time, i do a change of 75 lts in the green tank and 25 in the Nano two weeks latter the same my nano is fine. I top up with tap water both tanks?

8. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

try testing the tape water you might find this is a larger source of your problems....

Last edited: 16 Aug 2012
  10. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

Why only one tank?
    What must i test in the water everything?

11. erratiC

erratiC

Hi Dillan, Riaan's saying that you should start with testing the TDS of the tap water that you're adding to your tanks. Just because the nano doesn't look like it's in bad shape - doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't.

What is the state of your sump area in your big tank?

12. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

TDS? Whats that
    The Sump looks the same as the tank has some green in it

13. Dane G

Dane G

are you dosing anyhthing? and how much are you feeding?

Last edited: 17 Aug 2012
  14. JDV

JDV

What I would do is the below, please I am newbie my ideas might not always the best.

1. Don’t keep NSW there will be die off in the water could / will cause problems
    2. Don’t use tap water RO/DI water is your tanks friend
    3. Use a bacteria source like Seachem stability or special blend.
    4. Orca bio cubes should help as well. I haven’t used it myself but there is guys on the forum that has great success with it.

Good luck:thumbup:

15. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

I put in Organic Aqua Marine General Treat ment into both tanks, I feed Half a block of marine mix every second day , pellets every morning (just enough that it all eaten) and once a week zooton and phyton.

I feed both tanks the same and like i say the Nano is clear.

@crispin whats your pod life like? and brislte worms?

My rocks are alive with worms brislte stars ect

16. Dane G

Dane G

im a noob here and the way i would try to figure this out is what is the algea feeding off of and start from there,

what skimmer are you using?

17. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

Hi Dane I have a Wipro SA2015 rated to 1140L, i bought the full set up when my nano became to small so have changed nothing.

18. erratiC

erratiC

You've got evident nitrites in your water - did something die recently? Perhaps you should cut back on the frozen foods for a while and do some frequent water changes. It won't get rid of the green immediately but if you keep at it, it should recede at least showing you that you're doing right. @crispin asked earlier about your filtration?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

Sump has 5 compartments first into filter floss i change 3 times a week through filter floss into coral into live rock with bushy algae (no idea what it is looks like wire wool) then skimmer uptake then tank return, sump is a little green.

Nothing has dies in 8 months all fish are fat happy and feeding, just having to clean the glass twice a day and vacume the sane every week end is making me mad.

Ill cut the frozen food for a few weeks I will do a 30% water change on Saturday

20. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

Here is a weeks coffee in my skimmer, i may be wrong but feel its working.

[​IMG]

21. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Do you do CAL, MAG and ALK Tests...? when I started out I had algae problems and my LFS said I had to Test, and if needed...add the appropriate Additives to my water to fall in the higher range as I was creating a "Lagoon effect"..not saying that could be you'r problem but I would better understand you'r water condition with those reading also posted..:blush:

Some usefull info hopefully help you understand everything a bit better...:blush:
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=11827
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=17488

Recent Posts