green torch problem

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by marcel, 20 Jan 2010.

1. marcel

marcel

Hi All
    I am still trying to find some answers for my green torch problem. My green torch started loosing heads about a month age. The coral looked healthy but the heads kept on coming of. I placed some of the heads in the sump and they are all still alive and looking healthy. I increased the light in the main tank but that doesn’t seem to help. What could be the cause of this, as all the other corals seem fine?
    What should I do with the heads in the sump? Will they grow a new hard body?
    I broke the hard bodies without heads on off. I now only have a few small pieces with heads on, but I am afraid those heads will also come off. If a head came off the hard body, is the body then still alive? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Marcel

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

How old is your tank, and do you have a photo of where you placed the coral??

4. Afsal

Afsal

ive neva heard of a torch coral head coming off , maybe a few of its tentacles but not the whole head ....

5. marcel

marcel Thread Starter

Hi Sean,

The tank has been up for about six months but had very little in it, only two small fish. That torch was my first and only coral for about two months. I manufacture led lights and this tank up to now was more of a test tank to see how well the corals grow under the lights I made. The torch and two fish were the only things in the tank for about two months and no problems. I then got four very small all different types of frags and one bigger one… don’t ask me their names. The torch then starts loosing heads. I cant tell you the location because after it lost its first head and another one was loose I moved it around, higher, lower, more flow, less flow, more light, less light and the heads just kept coming off. Will try and take pictures of what I have now.

6. marcel

marcel Thread Starter

[​IMG]

7. marcel

marcel Thread Starter

[​IMG]

8. marcel

marcel Thread Starter

[​IMG]

9. marcel

marcel Thread Starter

On the first picture you can see all the missing heads in the hard body
    On picture 2 you can see one head is nearly off
    O n picture 3 you can see the heads in the sump. It seems like those heads can walk because they use to be apart.

10. durleo

durleo

now that is weird :p

11. seank

seank

Normally the heads, or part of it will come off if the flow is too much or if the heads keep on "rubbing"(friction) onto sharp objects eg rocks etc. But I've heard of some critter that also eats the heads (I do not know much about that, hence me not elaborating) from the base. The 1st option I've seen 1st hand in my tank in my early stages of reef keeping

12. Megalodon

Megalodon

try water changes with a different salt than the one you are using.... decent big water changes should help to clear it up. Also try adding a bit of iodine.

13. marcel

marcel Thread Starter

I did try a different salt and water changes. I don’t know iodine, will try and get some from my LFS. The only additives I use are calcium and magnesium. What must I do with the heads in my sump? How do you frag a torch, do you take a piece from the hard body or from the head? How do I know if the hard body is still alive or dead? So many questions and so few answers.

14. mandarin

mandarin

Hi marcel, i also had this problem, i bought two- one with three heads and one with two.The culprit that destoyd mine with the two heads was a snail, weird looking oke must have come with the LR-STRAIGHT IN THE WARM WATER,-no problem after.

15. marcel

marcel Thread Starter

Hi mandarin, I don’t have any snails in my tank. All the rock in my tank is bio rock so there is no way a snail or any other creature could be in my tank. Have you got some answers to any of my questions?

16. davidfr7

davidfr7

Hi marcel I got a frog spawn that is the same. My clown and yellow tail damsil tried to nest in them and the heads came off. I know they need gentle flow aswell if flow is to strong they cut themselves up on there stems.

17. mandarin

mandarin

oosh, i wish i had some answers for you, this is realy a strange thing that is happening. The only other thing that i can think of is that when you bought stock from your LFS that there was a hitch hiker, some of them only come out in the dark, and like David said it could be the flow,mine is near the bottom with minimum flow.
    Sorry i've got no other advise.

18. marcel

marcel Thread Starter

Hi davidfr, when I got the torch it was big and it was places in a high flow area and for more than a month, no problems. I only have four lose heads left in my display. I will place them all away from any flow, if you think it would help. And mandarin, if it was a hich hiker, don’t you think it should have eaten something? The heads are all still intact and alive, and the body… well I wish I knew. Again how do you frag a torch?

19. mandarin

mandarin

You should have a word with Tiger, he's a frag expert.

20. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

Hey Marcel,

hows those softies I sent you doing'?

With a branching euphyillia, you can take coral clippers (or garden clippers) and cut the branch off as close to the main colony as possible. Mount the frag using some putty.

Bang - youre done

Recent Posts